Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Boot failure "start job is running" Debian 8 [RESOLVED]

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
frank4360

Boot failure "start job is running" Debian 8 [RESOLVED]

#1 Post by frank4360 »

I have just done a clean installation of Debian 8 on an Asus NetBook. I loaded from a USB stick using the image debian-8.8.0-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso

Every time I boot up the system, after displaying lots of startup lines the boot process halts with the message
"A start job is running for LSB: NFS support files co.." then the continually mounting elapsed time followed by "/no limit".
The Asus screen is too small to display whatever follows "co.." in the message.

If I force the system off and reboot, the system usually loads fine. It always fails if I close the system down normally.

There are usually several similar messages shown during the boot process ("A start job is running for......") with a variety of different ends to the message - these run for a short time and the boot then continues until stopping as noted above.

I have searched for the problem, and seen similar messages which seem to be related to the swap area; UUIDs and /etc/fstab - all of which seem to be fine.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.
Last edited by frank4360 on 2017-05-21 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

Dai_trying

Re: Boot failure "start job is running" Debian 8

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

I had this happen once and had to remove nfs from my system as I didn't use it anyway, so if you don't use nfs for file sharing you can remove it. It's not really a fix but a workaround...

frank4360

Re: Boot failure "start job is running" Debian 8

#3 Post by frank4360 »

Dai_trying wrote:I had this happen once and had to remove nfs from my system as I didn't use it anyway, so if you don't use nfs for file sharing you can remove it. It's not really a fix but a workaround...
Excellent!! Thanks very much - I removed NFS and all is now well.

For information:- in a terminal as root I ran

Code: Select all

service nfs-kernel-server stop
and

service portmap stop

then

apt-get --purge remove nfs-kernel-server nfs-common portmap
Thanks again.

Dai_trying

Re: Boot failure "start job is running" Debian 8 [RESOLVED]