Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

speed differences FTP Server

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mrkapqa

speed differences FTP Server

#1 Post by mrkapqa »

Hello ,

today i tried update from squeeze to stretch,

get accessing http://ftp.de.x

constantly around 8,5 Mbps

but,
living in italy, i wonder why it is when i access

http://ftp.it

get only around 105 Kbps

debiman

Re: speed differences FTP Server

#2 Post by debiman »

um, a million reasons?
why is it that you're stuck in traffic?
ask the server why they don't give out more bandwidth?

mrkapqa

#3 Post by mrkapqa »

i am already on vdsl2+ "fiber" network - the last 100s meters covered still in copper wire.
am really wondering what is wrong here with this ftp being so slow.
well, traffic jam here quite prominent, but still wondering how such differences; but hey, maybe it was just a small diversion.

furquan

#4 Post by furquan »

@debiman is right here, there could be a million reasons why it happens. It could be traffic, outdated servers or a problem on your end. For example I don't use any of the Indian mirrors even though I live there, because they're always giving very slow speeds (capped at 100K/s) and one particular server just straight up went down one morning. On the other hand the servers in Taiwan give a consistent ~5MBps on my 4G connection. It cannot be my FUP (I've a 1GB/day FUP) since I'm very mindful of how much data I'm using so it only means that there is some problem at their end. It could be traffic too, though I don't why the servers in Taiwan will have less traffic compared to here.

Long story short, choose the server which gives you the most speeds at a consistent rate, the server doesn't have to be in the place or country where you live. I admit it can be tricky to find the right server but as a rule of thumb if the closest server doesn't work look for second closest one and so on.

Use a tool like speedtest-cli to determine your actual speeds under best conditions and then compare it with the speeds your Debian server is giving. It should give you a rough idea on how much the speed is falling-off.
The source code for the kernel, library, etc. should fit on one diskette. Sources for the GNU utilities will vary (and will be big). The sources to GNU emacs will take at least 3 disks. -- Theodore Ts'o, 1992 (distributing the first Linux disks)