Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Need help installing Gthumb 3.3.4 or later (Jessie)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
efrpcabo

[Solved] Need help installing Gthumb 3.3.4 or later (Jessie)

#1 Post by efrpcabo »

Hello,

I've tried to read some webpages with instructions on how to install Sid packages on Jessie, but in this case there are some dependencies which I'm not sure wether or not will mess up with my stable system.

So, I was wandering if someone could help me installing Gthumb 3.3.4 or later on Jessie (which uses 3.3.1).

Regards
Last edited by efrpcabo on 2017-05-25 01:56, edited 2 times in total.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Need help installing Gthumb 3.3.4 or later on Jessie (3.

#2 Post by None1975 »

efrpcabo wrote:So, I was wandering if someone could help me installing Gthumb 3.3.4 or later on Jessie (which uses 3.3.1).
No. Don't even bother trying. If you do it anyway, you get to keep all the pieces, and we get to laugh at you. You can, however, backport them to stable yourself...
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Repositories that can create a FrankenDebian if used with Debian Stable:

Debian testing release (currently stretch)

Debian unstable release (also known as sid)

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

efrpcabo wrote:I've tried to read some webpages with instructions on how to install Sid packages on Jessie...
Here are some experiences from other folks who did the same thing: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114130

efrpcabo

#5 Post by efrpcabo »

Well, I thank you, guys.

I've read the links and got the message. I'm glad I asked here first before I've done something stupid.

I think I'll install testing (stretch) and try to include the security repos. And I'll open another post on that subject.

Also, I think the package Gthumb 3.3.1 version shouldn't have been introduced into stable because this version has a bug that removed one config button (who is present in previous versions and also on versions 3.3.4 and upwards).

I'm using stable for years and I'm really happy with it. It's kind of hard to let it go.

Thank you all.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

I'll take a look at if it can be backported, but often the GNOME programs insist on a whole new GTK 3, which ain't gonna happen.

Maybe there's a flatpak or appimage "universal" gthumb install, though...

Edit: I don't have to do anything--it's already in jessie-backports! https://packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/gthumb

See backports.org for instructions, and please mark this thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and adding that to the title.
MX Linux packager and developer

efrpcabo

#7 Post by efrpcabo »

stevepusser wrote:I'll take a look at if it can be backported, but often the GNOME programs insist on a whole new GTK 3, which ain't gonna happen.
Edit: I don't have to do anything--it's already in jessie-backports! https://packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/gthumb
Thank you!
Maybe I don't need to upgrade to Stretch as soon as I thought :)