Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Transition to Thunderbird] - No icons

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
gnulux

[Transition to Thunderbird] - No icons

#1 Post by gnulux »

Hello everybody,

The transition from Icedove to Thunderbird was smooth, thanks to the Debian devels. One glitch on Jessie LXDE, however:
the Thunderbird icon has not appeared though the Icedove icon has disappeared. So a generic icon has taken pride of place in the menu and in the launch bar of LDXE, as well as on the Thunderbird various windows.

Menu icons are easy to change but I’m not so sure about the software icon.

Of course, the simplest way would be to purge Icedove and install Thunderbird (making sure to save the icedove profile), but I’d like to know how to change the icon on the Thundebird windows.

Many thanks in advance for your ideas :-)

debiman

Re: [Transition to Thunderbird] - No icons

#2 Post by debiman »

you mean on the windows decorations?
openbox is notorious for being very... single-minded about this.

short answer: if it isn't hardcoded into the application, you can't change it.

long answer: scripts & applications exist that can change the icon. try xseticon. also fbpanel has a very nice plugin to do exactly that (and it is possible to run fbpanel only with that plugin, so it doesn't even show up on your desktop, in case you prefer another panel).

gnulux

#3 Post by gnulux »

Many thanks, Debiman. I never thought Openbox was the culprit :-(

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

it's a bit late to reply, but...
i didn't say openbox is the culprit.
really, openbox just uses the default icon that the app provides it with.
most DEs have a way to circumvent this and present an icon from the current icon theme, but openbox does not.
so in the end, the application itself is the culprit.

like i said, various methods exist to circumvent this.
personally i like the fbpanel method most, which i've been using for a long time (nowadays i just disable icons).