Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 live iso

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ticojohn

Debian 9 live iso

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I just downloaded debian-live-9.0.0-xfce.iso . After checking the md5 sum I then burned the iso to a usb stick using dd. I can't get it to boot.
However, the problem may well be with my motherboard. I have a gigabyte GA-H81M-H motherboard that supposedly supports both UEFI and legacy booting (it has roms for both). In the BIOS I select UEFI and Legacy boot and then select UEFI First. No GO! If I select UEFI Only then I can get it to boot.

The issue is this: If I boot in UEFI Only and then install to a hard drive, am I going to be able to do a Legacy install or only UEFI install. If only UEFI then I am better off not installing 9.0 from the usb stick.

I currently have Jessie on a SSD (legacy boot with grub on the Jessie drive) and intend to keep it that way. The plan was to install Stretch to a second drive. Maybe better to install, or clone, Jessie to the second drive and then upgrade to Stretch.

Suggestions, critiques, are welcome.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

phenest

Re: Debian 9 live iso

#2 Post by phenest »

To point out first, it seems the Live image of Stretch is not for installation purposes, as others here have already discovered.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

ticojohn

Re: Debian 9 live iso

#3 Post by ticojohn »

phenest wrote:To point out first, it seems the Live image of Stretch is not for installation purposes, as others here have already discovered.
Okay, that's cool. But I wonder why it won't boot. Must be the funky bios on my Gigabyte motherboard. Thanks for that feedback. I had not seen posts regarding live iso not for installation.

Guess I will go with plan B.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.