Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Uninstall Gnome

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
silvaf6

Uninstall Gnome

#1 Post by silvaf6 »

Hi guys.

I finally found out that gnome isn't a pratical desktop environment, it just makes things harder and switched to cinnamon (which I installed during debian install).
OK, so I decided to finally get rid of gnome! Ran "apt-get purge gnome-shell" and lived to regret it. So, i wasted the last 30 minutes fixing debian installing again gnome-shell, reinstalling nvidia drivers and a bunch of other things.

Didn't find a guide online for debian 8 or 9, or similar for other distros which I could adapt. so, can you guys give me an hand?

EDIT: Just broke a virtual machine uninstalling "gnome-core" and "gnome-session". Is gnome here to stay?

Wheelerof4te

Re: Uninstall Gnome

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Unless you really need free disc space, I don't see the reason to purge GNOME. You can easily switch between various DE in the log-in session.
The whole "I don't like this or that so I want to remove it" concept doesn't work all the time in Linux. Be more careful in the future and try to learn more about packages, package managers.

silvaf6

#3 Post by silvaf6 »

Don't blindly remove software
Sometimes when you remove a package, the package manager needs to remove other packages too. This is because the additional packages depend on the package you're trying to remove.

If this happens, the package manager will show you a list everything that will be removed and ask for your confirmation. Make sure to read this list carefully! If you don't know what some of the packages to be removed are for, read the descriptions for each one.
I tought that packages that are dependencys for other packages would not be removed by the package manager...
I have always installed and uninstalled DE' s at free will in ubuntu, so I'm not sure why it isn't possible in Debian. but i guess I'll keep gnome as you wish :)
Last edited by silvaf6 on 2017-06-20 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Hallvor »

I think the easiest way to get rid of an installed desktop environment is to use tasksel:

Code: Select all

# tasksel
Use Tab to navigate, and Spacebar to unselect "Desktop Environment".
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

silvaf6

#5 Post by silvaf6 »

Hm, I'll try that on virtualbox tomorrow. thanks

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

by silvaf6 » I have always installed and uninstalled DE' s at free will in ubuntu, so I'm not sure why it isn't possible in Debian.
It is possible, just read some documentation on package management, etc.
You can install and uninstall DE's on Debian as well, and you can have several different DE's,... all though I do not know why DE's are even needed when a
Window Manager works more efficiently, but that is another topic.

If Ubuntu is more suitable to the OP's needs, maybe they should just use that .

There was a topic in :""Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks"" I think , about removing
"meta packages", maybe some one else remembers where it is,..???
or the OP could try doing some searches their self.

Chapter 2. Debian package management

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Try reinstalling Cinnamon after removing GNOME to see if it restores any removed packages. Maybe the process removed gdm--details needed for how it "broke your GUI".
MX Linux packager and developer

silvaf6

#8 Post by silvaf6 »

I didn't know about meta-packages or that gnome had meta packages. I'm gonna look into it.

How dare you saying that the unstable amazon spyware ubuntu would suit my needs. :p

I might try reinstalling cinnamon with tasksel after i get rid of gnome if it breaks the system.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#9 Post by None1975 »

silvaf6 wrote:Hi guys.

I finally found out that gnome isn't a pratical desktop environment, it just makes things harder and switched to cinnamon (which I installed during debian install).
OK, so I decided to finally get rid of gnome! Ran "apt-get purge gnome-shell" and lived to regret it. So, i wasted the last 30 minutes fixing debian installing again gnome-shell, reinstalling nvidia drivers and a bunch of other things.

Didn't find a guide online for debian 8 or 9, or similar for other distros which I could adapt. so, can you guys give me an hand?

EDIT: Just broke a virtual machine uninstalling "gnome-core" and "gnome-session". Is gnome here to stay?
If you want to uninstall GNOME and its dependencies do:

Code: Select all

aptitude purge `dpkg --get-selections | grep gnome | cut -f 1`
aptitude -f install
aptitude purge `dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | cut -f 1`
aptitude -f install
Be aware that this can leave you with a broken system. Use caution.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

silvaf6

#10 Post by silvaf6 »

Hi guys!

Tried this:
aptitude purge `dpkg --get-selections | grep gnome | cut -f 1`
but i got a message telling me that couldn't find any gnome packages or something. I might have write that wrong but i doubt it.

So I went crazy. (Tested everything in a virtual machine first )

step 1 - init 2
step 2 - tasksel and uninstall everything ( This barely does anything actually )
step 3 - apt-get purge gnome* ( xD )
step 4 - tasksel and install cinnamon plus "debian desktop environment"

All working good without gnome :D
Thank you all