Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

My Strange Condition Now

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
kenny1402

My Strange Condition Now

#1 Post by kenny1402 »

This evening, I have a problem occurred to my pc. It brought me to a recovery mode, says "failed to start File System check on /dev/disk/by-uuid" so on..

I logged in as root and then typed
fsck /dev/sda
But it did not work

So i typed
fsck /home/

It went well, I pressed y in a lot of time and did succeeded to get into my GUI, and logged in. But strangely, Libreoffice did not want to run, and once after that, i see lock on my files and could not open and rewrite them.

Feeling frustrated, I took my old linuxmint live usb and try to boot it. But when I boot, it will always take me to my debian grub again. What?

Hhmm.. What did I do wrong :( I have no idea at all...

What should I do to fix this?

Thank you so much for the further guidances..

kenny1402

Re: My Strange Condition Now

#3 Post by kenny1402 »

Lysander wrote:Did you change the boot device priority in the BIOS?
Yes. I had already. I placed my live usb on the number 1 but I had no luck, it would always take me back to debian's grub. :(

kenny1402

#4 Post by kenny1402 »

I just want to let one now, that my linux mint live usb works super fine on different pcs, it took me to my live linux mint session.

Could it possibly a hardware error? :(

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

kenny1402 wrote:Could it possibly a hardware error? :(
Only in the sense that you may have compromised a disk or partition. If you ran a check on a mounted device (and it certainly sounds like you did), you had to blast through several warnings about how bad an idea it was. And now you know why.

From everything you've posted so far, it strikes me that you'll be happier--MUCH happier--if you stick with Mint. Debian is measurably harder to use than "newbie-friendly" distros; that's why those distros exist.

A more general note: your initial post is lacking in detail. It's not enough to say something "didn't work" or "went fine." You need to provide specific information about what happened, the error message(s) you received, etc.

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

I have to cohere with dasein here. If you are using fsck you have to specify a partition [e.g. sda1/2 etc] rather than the entire drive, that's why it didn't work the first time.

When you ran it on /home, this is the slightly concerning part
kenny1402 wrote: So i typed
fsck /home/

It went well, I pressed y in a lot of time
which sounds like you told fsck to proceed on a mounted partition.

It looks like you haven't done the reading properly before using fsck which has resulted in an unusable install.

As for why your Mint USB won't work, I would take some time to seriously look at your BIOS settings. If your boot device priority is set to USB it should work. The only reason why it would not work is if the USB became unreadable for some reason, meaning the BIOS would then default to the second option, which in your case would be GRUB.

If this is the case you have an unusable Debian install and an unusable USB. If you have no secondary USB with a live OS, I imagine the only thing you can do is get hold of one from someone else, or use someone else's computer to write one.

All of this points to the conclusion that if you are happier in Mint, do stay with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would strongly suggest you go to YouTube to look at Luke Smith's excellent video "Stop Distro-hopping".

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

Just to save others a little time...

The video Lysander mentioned is actually entitled "How to choose a Linux distro: Stop Thinking!"
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zpgQpdy_fI

I understand Smith's core point and mostly agree with it. But his implication that all distros are identical strikes me as muddle-headed. (But then again, I used to be quite the distro-hopper in my Linux youth.)

(Sorry for the hijack)

Lysander

#8 Post by Lysander »

dasein wrote:Just to save others a little time...

The video Lysander mentioned is actually entitled "How to choose a Linux distro: Stop Thinking!"
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zpgQpdy_fI

I understand Smith's core point and mostly agree with it. But his implication that all distros are identical strikes me as muddle-headed. (But then again, I used to be quite the distro-hopper in my Linux youth.)

(Sorry for the hijack)
Ah yes, apologies for the wrong video title, and thank you for posting the link.