Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

homeserver on old laptop - should i dist-upgrade 8 => 9 ?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Lysander

Re: homeserver on old laptop - should i dist-upgrade 8 => 9

#16 Post by Lysander »

I see - I will have to read this a few more times till I get the import of it. Since I have come to the party when systemd is already in place, I have had to go and read around exactly why people dislike it so much. Though, at the root of it, it's something that I don't see impacting me too much: if I were a developer I can see how it could cause immense vexation.
dasein wrote:I think that's a common condition.
It's good to know what there are others in the same boat. I can't justify downgrading for purely nostalgic reasons, and Stretch does a very good job. I imagine if I had held out with Linux more than I did in the 2000s I may have more comparisons to make, but my focus was largely on gaming back then so I jumped ship from Ubuntu and Fedora pretty soon after install.

dasein

#17 Post by dasein »

Lysander wrote:I have had to go and read around exactly why people dislike it so much.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've actually written mission-critical middleware in my life, in a venue where downtime cost approximately $1M (US) per day, which makes mine something of a unique perspective. Ironically enough, it was that very gig that taught me to revere and respect the Unix philosophy.

(Sorry for the mini hijack.)

lbuiyzxl

#18 Post by lbuiyzxl »

If you use zram and very lack physical memory then you should do some benchmark on zram for yourself
Same benchmark on 3.16 Linux kernel consume "8388608" bytes of memory not "16777216"
zram on 3.16 no mm_stat you should see "/sys/block/zram<ID>/mem_used_total".
I'm sorry for my bad English skills
I'm don't want to be a nuisance.