How Apps deal with versioning config files?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

How Apps deal with versioning config files?

Postby bester69 » 2017-07-10 13:45

Hi,
I've always wondered how linux do to be able to deal with jumping fordwards/backwards among differents App installed versions.

Example:
- I install firefox v36, It creates a folder config with differentes files, and parameters. Then I install v38, and Its able to recreate new config directory, Then i jump back to v32, and the app, is able to keep settings and parameter, and recreate again config folder for that version.

- Ive seen this process breaks with chromium App: When you go backwards, the App notify you , you 're using a newer version for that config folder.

- But.. What about linux Apps??, Ive heard anything about this possible mess.., Is Linux dealing succesfully with this possible jumping backwards config versions??. Whenever I downgrade Debian or do a rollback Im insecure about how dowgraded Apps are dealing with the resident configuration files; so Im also taking previous snapshots of Home folder for the rollback, just in case... :?
bester69

Re: How Apps deal with versioning config files?

Postby milomak » 2017-07-12 20:53

it would seem to me like you have already suggested in your post that this will be app dependent

so a properly developed app will try to take such things onto consideration. i use sid and had sometimes have reverted to a stable version of an app with no issue.

obviously this is true where no major changes have taken place.
iMac - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box - Debian Sid
milomak

Re: How Apps deal with versioning config files?

Postby bester69 » 2017-07-13 20:31

milomak wrote:it would seem to me like you have already suggested in your post that this will be app dependent

so a properly developed app will try to take such things onto consideration. i use sid and had sometimes have reverted to a stable version of an app with no issue.

obviously this is true where no major changes have taken place.

I suppose its not a very good idea go backward dragging config files.
bester69

Return to General Questions