Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Chrome & Pul[s]eAudio labels

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
J. Reis

Chrome & Pul[s]eAudio labels

#1 Post by J. Reis »

This might be a stupid question (or something a DE would set up automatically), but my searches haven't lead me to any answers. When running Chrome and using pavucontrol each tab (with audio) gets its own stream and they are all labeled ALSA plug-in [chrome] . Is there a way to get them labeled with the tab title or something more informative?

Thanks for any advice or for pointing me in the right direction. When it comes to ALSA interacting with Pulse, etc. etc. I'm definitely a bit out of my depth.

Edit: screenshot below, in case that helps elucidate the issue. Thanks GarryR!
Edit 2 (to add requested system details): Debian Stretch, no DE installed—just JWM running on top of X.

Last edited by J. Reis on 2017-07-23 02:33, edited 5 times in total.

J. Reis

Re: Chrome & PuleAudio labels

#3 Post by J. Reis »

Darn, 81 views over more than a week … perhaps this isn't possible? Or maybe my post wasn't properly constructed, if so please help me learn how to make better posts! I'd certainly appreciate any feedback.

J

GarryRicketson

Re: Chrome & PuleAudio labels

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

I did not include my "signature", in my first reply, it has a link to a page that is a good guide on ḧow to ask a question",...
I can't help, I do not use Chrome, nor "PuleAudio"(I am deaf,and have no use for audio software)
In a nut shell, there are no details at all, the screen shot is useless,
Nothing about your system, it is not even clear what version of Debian you are using, if you are using Debian, nor what DE it is,....
There also are 100's of threads on the forum , started by others with
problems with both Chrome and the sound/audio, the Debian wiki also
has some good pages on trouble shooting these things.
Ever wonder why your post isn't getting answered?
Also Please learn to thumbnail images
Thank you

J. Reis

Re: Chrome & PulseAudio labels

#5 Post by J. Reis »

I appreciate that you responded (particularly since you have no interest in or experience with audio config) and some of your criticism is certainly helpful. That said, if I may be so bold as to offer a bit of advice from a newbie perspective, being a bit more polite can go a long way towards improving a forum. I recognize that it is time consuming and frustrating to repeat yourself over and over and I appreciate that you engaged with me at all. Still, snark about a minor typing error on my part "PuleAudio" (now corrected) and phrases like "useless" and "please learn to x" as well as hyperbole like "100s of threads" give a very judgmental and unwelcoming impression.

Specifics:
I did not include my "signature", in my first reply, it has a link to a page that is a good guide on ḧow to ask a question"
In fact I did read that—as it is stickied as an announcement. As it happens I read all the announcements & made a concerted effort to abide by the rules and recommendations therein. At least in so far as I could remember them (it's quite a lot of reading). I did everything recommended in the post in your signature.
there are no details at all, the screenshot is useless
I'm not sure that's entirely fair. I made a good faith effort to describe the issue clearly, including the three pieces of software involved: Chrome, PulseAudio & pavucontrol. As for the screenshot, what exactly would you prefer I have taken a screenshot of? Is there a relevant log file I should have attached instead? I'm afraid I'm not aware of any and I suspect a significant portion of Debian users are equally ignorant. I may not be particularly bright and I'm not a Linux expert, but I'm not exceptionally clueless either. My screenshot clearly shows the issue I'm referring to in the UI of the specific application I mentioned in the text. If there was something obviously better I could have posted, I honestly wasn't aware of it at the time (and am not now).
Nothing about your system, it is not even clear what version of Debian you are using, if you are using Debian, nor what DE it is
That's fair. I was running stable and posted shortly after updating from Jessie to Stretch. The issue was the same in both and it didn't occur to me to specify (I suppose some folks post here seeking support for Testing or Unstable?). I absolutely should have included some details of my system. I've updated my original post and will endeavor to do better in the future!
There also are 100's of threads on the forum , started by others
Technically true, many threads on Chrome & PulseAudio, most of them completely irrelevant to my issue. Why assume I didn't try to check them? In fact, I searched fairly thoroughly, certainly enough to qualify as a good faith effort to do so. There were no relevant threads returned.
Image | Image
I also tried "pulse label" "pulse name" "pulse stream name|label" "chrome audio label|name" "chrome audio stream name|label" and a handful of other strings without any useful results.
the Debian wiki also has some good pages on trouble shooting these things.
Since you don't work with audio, there's no reason you would have read through these pages in detail. But I can assure you that they do not contain any helpful information on the titling of audio streams. Neither do any of the Ubuntu or Arch help pages I found and read through. Unless I somehow missed the relevant pages in the 4+ hours I spent searching and reading before I posted (in which case the search facilities of said wiki need improvement). Again, I'm a newbie, but I made a genuine effort to research this issue before I engaged the forum. I'm not (well, at least not until this wordy post :P ) trying to frivolously waste anyone's time. I tried to do this the right & polite way. If I wasn't 100% successful, I'm genuinely sorry. That said, having it implied that existing threads would have solved this, when I tried very hard to find an answer in those threads is hurtful.
This is a great post, thanks for directing me to it. For what it's worth, I did read all the announcement posts in the Beginners Questions forum and here in the General Questions forum. For the record that's 6 threads in the former and 4 in the later. I didn't keep track of how much time I spent reading all of that—I think it is safe to say it was more than half-an-hour. I may not have completely absorbed all the information therein (for instance, I forgot to mention my Debian version—certainly an oversight on my part), but it was a lot to get through and I doubt the average person should be expected to do much better. Lastly, the post you linked is not among them. I see that it is stickied in the Beginners forum, but after going through ten rules and advice posts I (and, I reckon, most mere mortals) wasn't looking for more.
The image I posted is less than 62K and I scaled it to 650px. I'll admit that thumbnailing may be the best practice, but I don't feel I was being abusive. The thread you linked to does not explain how to thumbnail on a forum like this. Perhaps the average person knows this? I did not. The editor made it clear how to post an image & I made sure my image would fit on the vast majority of remotely modern screens and encoded it in such a way that it would pose no strain on anyone's bandwidth (unless, I suppose they were using a 56k modem, in which case it would be a 9 second delay!). I have, in fact, now learned to thumbnail and done so in this post.

Obviously I've wasted way more time on this than it is worth. I guess I'm an internet newbie in more way than one!

J. Reis

Re: Chrome & Pul[s]eAudio labels

#6 Post by J. Reis »

Actually, I guess I didn't learn how to thumbnail. Seems I got thumbnails that don't link to the full size image … I probably shouldn't ask, but how is one supposed to thumbnail images on this forum?

GarryRicketson

Re: Chrome & Pul[s]eAudio labels

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

I am almost sorry I responded to start with, since as I said I don't know
about the audio problem,...Which probably is why no one answers, if some one did know the answer, they would respond.
But on the screen shots and thumb nails I can answer:
I put it in code boxes, so you can see how it is done.

Code: Select all

[url=http://i.imgur.com/v9ZBeE5.png] [img]http://i.imgur.com/v9ZBeE5s.png [/img][/url]
In the other links, the how to, and the please use thumbnails, somewhere
there is a explanation, I will admit or agree, it (the explanation) seems to have gotten buried in the "chatter", I couldn't quickly find it, but I know I wrote one. Maybe later when I have time I will fix that.