Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Virgl: Would like to install

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bedtime

[SOLVED] Virgl: Would like to install

#1 Post by bedtime »

Currently, I am running Fedora as my host and Debian as my VM, as Fedora has support for virgl. I would like to run virgl in Debian and make Debian my host and my VM. Then I saw this page:

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/virglrenderer

It seems that virgl has been rejected and pulled due to bugs. I would still like to give it a go, if that is possible. I am running Debian 9 on VM (working excellent btw, and will keep) to test it; I'd rather not ditch my working host to just 'try it out.' It would be running in straight qemu and libvirt with no virt-manager front-end and would be using an SDL or GTK display. I have a working script already made, so that's not an issue...

I tried installing virgl from backports by issuing:

Code: Select all

apt-get -t stretch-backports install virglrenderer
... and it comes back as package not found.

I admit that I don't know much about how backports work in Debian.

Any ideas? I understand what I am asking is a bit of a stretch, as I would like stability, but I also want to use a package that is quite new, but there are so many things I like about Debian that make it worth it, if it could be done.
Last edited by bedtime on 2017-07-19 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

dasein

Re: Virgl: Would like to install

#2 Post by dasein »

bedtime wrote:It seems that virgl has been rejected and pulled due to bugs. I would still like to give it a go, if that is possible.
Not as part of a Stable system. If running buggy software is important to you, then you've already chosen an ideal distro (Fedora).

Then too, "bugs" is a serious mischaracterization of a dozen serious security vulnerabilities. Why you'd want to "give it a go" is beyond me, but hey, it's your rig to ruin.
bedtime wrote:I tried installing virgl from backports...
[snip]
I admit that I don't know much about how backports work in Debian.
Backports are newer versions of popular software compiled for a specific release. Packages with RC bugs are not allowed in Backports.
bedtime wrote:Any ideas?
The package you're looking for is available in Jessie backports, if your keen devotion to software trendiness would allow you to run ( :shock: ) Debian 8 instead of Debian 9.
bedtime wrote:I understand what I am asking is a bit of a stretch...
s/bit of a stretch/self-contradictory/

(Fixed that for you :razz:)

bedtime

#3 Post by bedtime »

dasein wrote:
bedtime wrote:It seems that virgl has been rejected and pulled due to bugs. I would still like to give it a go, if that is possible.
Not as part of a Stable system. If running buggy software is important to you, then you've already chosen an ideal distro (Fedora).
Strangly, I'm running Fedora 26 as my bare-metal and have yet to experience any bugs. It's been amazing. The only thing is that it's not supported for that long. I tried CentOS and found it to be buggy when doing anything that is not the default, such as running xfce or openbox. Of course, CentOS really isn't built for desktop use...
Backports are newer versions of popular software compiled for a specific release. Packages with RC bugs are not allowed in Backports.
Ah, okay. That explains it.
The package you're looking for is available in Jessie backports, if your keen devotion to software trendiness would allow you to run ( :shock: ) Debian 8 instead of Debian 9.
I don't want to go back to Debian 8. I was even warned and advised to use Debian 9, so I'd prefer using it. Also, it's supported for a longer time.

I used the Debian 8 backports to install virgl and it apparently installed, but I still get this output, even if I leave out the virgl support:
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory
I really would like Debian on my machine. Most likely Ubuntu would run it, but I don't like the bloat Ubuntu brings; Debian is so snappy.

I have to admit that I'm not giving it a fair try as I haven't installed it on the host system. If perhaps you guys think there might be a difference I could give it a try.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

bedtime wrote:I used the Debian 8 backports to install virgl...
After I pointedly told you that jessie-backports would mean running jessie...

Why bother to ask the question if you're just going to try random crap until you break your system??

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?&t=114130

Done.

bedtime

#5 Post by bedtime »

dasein wrote:
bedtime wrote:I used the Debian 8 backports to install virgl...
After I pointedly told you that jessie-backports would mean running jessie...

Why bother to ask the question if you're just going to try random crap until you break your system??

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?&t=114130

Done.
Denial. I really don't want to have to run Debian 8 and was hoping... As for now, I may just leave things as is and use Debian for the VM, which I am typing in atm. Sooner or later the bugs will be fixed and virgl will be up and running in Debian 9.

I'm going to call this solved as I at least know why it's not working. Thanks.