Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome Screensaver

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
hugeness2

Gnome Screensaver

#1 Post by hugeness2 »

Let me start by saying I love Debian.

If I go to 'All Settings' and then search for screensaver. There are no results. That has to be a bug, right? I mean, it's not strictly a bug, because it's even more buggy (as in illogical and annoying) than many actual bugs.

Please - I am effectively stil a newb, even though on and off I have been using Debian for over a decade. In this sphere I am definitely a newb, because it actually used to be much easier to find the screensaver.

It's free. I get that and mostly it's terrific.
Thanks for any pointers.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Gnome Screensaver

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

Lysander

Re: Gnome Screensaver

#3 Post by Lysander »

As far as I can ascertain - unless someone can correct me - this is not a bug, but a decision.

Modern screens do not need screensavers since they do not suffer from 'burn-in'. I always just lock my screen if I am to be away for an extended period. GNOME turns the screen off but if one jogs the mouse the screen lock wallpaper will be displayed until one unlocks it.

If you want a screensaver, you can download and install gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver from the official repos. The latter has a GUI which can be accessed through the terminal.