Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is Firefox always hanging/freezing for anyone else on Buster

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Breaking Jessie

Is Firefox always hanging/freezing for anyone else on Buster

#1 Post by Breaking Jessie »

A couple of days ago I upgraded from Stretch to Buster, and while most of the transition went fine, Firefox (52.2.0esr-2) is hanging or freezing quite often now and I don't know the cause.

It will usually run fine for a while, maybe 5 minutes, but soon after it hangs and System Activity shows one of the cores running at 100%.

I turned off electrolysis in case it's related to multi-process support but the problem remains. I use profile-sync-daemon to keep the Firefox profile and other files in RAM. It hasn't ever caused any problems but I mention it anyway.

Has anyone else encountered this or know of a fix?

Edit: The same problem occurs on my netbook (64-bit AMD quad-core) and desktop (64-bit Intel Core i7).
I use 64-bit Debian Buster with Plasma 5 DE.

Bulkley

Re: Is Firefox always hanging/freezing for anyone else on Bu

#2 Post by Bulkley »

How many times do we have to say it? Moving from Stable to Testing is not an upgrade. If you are using Testing you need to identify bugs, file bug reports in the proper channels and propose solutions.

I suggest you open Firefox in a terminal so that you see the error messages.

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

Bulkley wrote:If you are using Testing you need to identify bugs, file bug reports in the proper channels and propose solutions.
+1

@OP: Using Testing means being both able and willing to do first-cut diagnostics without assistance. Historically, you don't even bother to check for an existing bug report before you post here asking for hand-holding.

There's an easy and well-documented way (in fact, there are two) to see if the problem with your particular config. What were the results of that test?

sjukfan

#4 Post by sjukfan »

Do you have flash installed? I had problem with the flash plugin hanging and taking firefox with it. Sometimes it was enough to kill the plugin container and sometimes I had to kill firefox.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX