Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

icedove/thunderbird update no good

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jfmxl

icedove/thunderbird update no good

#1 Post by jfmxl »

hi,

i just updated my jessie and got, among other things, the latest and greatest thunderbird - 5.2.1 64bit ... only problem is it hangs and has to be killed.

how can i revert to my old thunderbird? both mozilla products, icedove/thunderbird and iceweasel/firefox have been problematic ... literally crashing my machine on startup since i 'upgraded' from wheezy to jessie ... but at least after multiple cold restarts i could eventually get jessie and the mozilla programs running ... and then never shut them down!

but this new thunderbird just becomes unresponsive ... in addition to the maddening difficulty starting it ... and that leaves me with no mail.

thanks in advance for help.

Ardouos

Re: icedove/thunderbird updae no good

#2 Post by Ardouos »

jfmxl wrote: how can i revert to my old thunderbird?
http://snapshot.debian.org/
The snapshot archive is a wayback machine that allows access to old packages based on dates and version numbers. It consists of all past and current packages the Debian archive provides.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

jfmxl

Re: icedove/thunderbird updae no good

#3 Post by jfmxl »

thanks. the last known good icedove/thunderbird was 4.5.8 or 4.8.5 ... i think. i found nothing like that among the icedoves at your link. what i have now is 5.2.1

dasein

Re: icedove/thunderbird update no good

#4 Post by dasein »

Mozilla maintains an archive with every version of every Mozilla product ever released. Pick whatever you want from there, reminding yourself that older versions can sometimes have security issues.

jfmxl

Re: icedove/thunderbird update no good

#5 Post by jfmxl »

thanks for the links to the archives. managged to restart 5.2.1 and it seems to be holding up now. i have my fingers crossed. if i need an older version i'll try mozilla. was trying to stick with the debian regime, though.