Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Alpine/IMAP/SSL and new Debian 9

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bflmpsvz

Alpine/IMAP/SSL and new Debian 9

#1 Post by bflmpsvz »

Hello,
I have been using Pine and Alpine for years on Windows XP. Now our mailserver was upgraded from Debian 8 (Jessie) to Debian 9 (Stretch) and Alpine says
"There was an SSL/TLS failure for the server".
I suppose, that Windows XP are reason for this. My colleague has the same version of Alpine (2.20) with the same configuration on Windows 7 and has
no problem. Moreover, Debian release notes say "The 3DES and RC4 ciphers are no longer available for TLS/SSL communication. ... This means that OpenSSL and Windows XP share no common cipher. "
So my questions are:

1) Does the Alpine rely on system regarding SSL/TLS? (Thunderbird has no problem on Windows XP against Debian 9, tested versions 2.0.0.23, 38.5.0, 45.8.0, 52.2.1)

2) If so, is there any way how to allow Alpine work against Debian 9 on Windows XP?
My configuration for IMAP is like ourimap.server.cz/ssl/novalidate-cert/user=my_username . While Thunderbird is able to connect with our mailserver using SSL/TLS or STARTTLS, no different setting of Alpine was successful...