Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 7 or 8 on 512MB RAM

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Lysander

Re: Debian 7 or 8 on 512MB RAM

#16 Post by Lysander »

RU55EL wrote:Hey, while Gentoo is not the easiest OS to install, it is very configurable - meaning that you could build the OS with what you need and just what you need. A good thing if you only have 512MB RAM, and lots of spare time to configure the build.
Maybe we should just reply to every thread with "install Gentoo".

DebbyIan

#17 Post by DebbyIan »

I would suggest also stripping the kernel to a bare minimum.

RU55EL

#18 Post by RU55EL »

Lysander wrote:
RU55EL wrote:Hey, while Gentoo is not the easiest OS to install, it is very configurable - meaning that you could build the OS with what you need and just what you need. A good thing if you only have 512MB RAM, and lots of spare time to configure the build.
Maybe we should just reply to every thread with "install Gentoo".
Maybe we should not reply to every thread?

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debiman wrote:if you install debian without a graphical desktop (as it should be on a server), i don't think it makes a lot of difference which version you install.
I would respectfully disagree :)

The newest version of the Debian stable release includes all the latest upstream bug fixes (rather than patches applied by the Security Team) and Debian stretch now offers significant protection against ROP attacks [1] and is thus _much_ more secure than previous releases.
deadbang