90 second shutdown delay after upgrading to Stretch

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: 90 second shutdown delay--Solution

Postby kevinthefixer » 2018-05-14 22:33

OK, got it sorted, and fixed, at least for me. Found the article that pointed me to NetworkManager here:
https://linuxnewbieguide.org/how-to-mount-windows-or-samba-shares-permanently/
But not only is it old, it's aimed at Ubuntu. Nonetheless it did allow me to pinpoint the problem, NetworkManager runs its shutdown scripts before the system unmounts filesystems. However, NetworkManager has a built-in mechanism for running scripts before it downs the net interface(s); simply place a script in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/pre-down.d. So I created the file nfs-umount.sh with this content:
Code: Select all
umount -a -t cifs
exit

and placed it there as root. I was proud of myself, I even remembered to
Code: Select all
chmod +x nfs-umount.sh

Note that the chmod doesn't take effect until a reboot, dunno why. But my system now shuts down in less than 5 seconds instead of the 95 that was the usual.
kevinthefixer

Re: 90 second shutdown delay after upgrading to Stretch

Postby kevinthefixer » 2018-05-20 18:45

Perhaps I spoke too soon. Seems it's only fixed when running wired internet connection. Seems the shutdown scripts turn off the wi-fi radio before it gets to NetManager, leaving the same problem. Of course a portable computer isn't much good if it requires a cord. If/when I find a fix I'll add it here. But after all, it isn't really much of a problem, I can just walk away and it shuts down eventually anyway. It's rare I need to reboot it.
kevinthefixer

Re: 90 second shutdown delay after upgrading to Stretch

Postby mrkapqa » 2018-05-24 10:49

i noticed this too on my side when upgrading once jessie to stretch.

what about the 5 sec. delay when running apt-get ?

has this been resolved yet?

really very un-debian-like, such a waiting-queue.
mrkapqa

Previous

Return to General Questions