Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing or choosing themes in Wine doesn't work

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
andoru

Installing or choosing themes in Wine doesn't work

#1 Post by andoru »

Wine version: 2.0.2-1 (unstable)

I can't seem to be able to install themes under Wine (.msstyles), nor can I change the ones that are already installed. After I choose the theme from the "Install Theme" prompt under the Desktop Integration tab, the file chooser closes, and the entry for the theme doesn't show up in the drop down menu. I've previously tried to install a theme, and then switched back to "(No Theme)" and ever since then this happens... Is there anything I could try to fix this, without clearing the whole wine prefix?

GarryRicketson

Re: Installing or choosing themes in Wine doesn't work

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

I am not sure what this has to do with Debian, or if it matters what version of Debian, and
what DE,... or maybe the OP is not even using Debian,
but a quick general search : Installing or choosing themes in Wine doesn't work

https://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-gui ... -wine-main
Wine can load Windows themes if you have them available. While this certainly isn't necessary in order to use Wine or applications, it does allow you to customize the look and feel of a program. Wine supports the newer MSStyles type of themes. Unlike the older Microsoft Plus! style themes, the uxtheme engine supports special .msstyles files that can retheme all of the Windows controls. This is more or less the same kind of theming that modern Linux desktops have supported for years. If you'd like to try this out:

Download a Windows XP theme. Be sure it contains a .msstyles file.

Use the Desktop Integration tab of winecfg to install and select the new theme.
More info on what the OP has actually done, for example did you download any themes,
if you have not done that, there are no themes to install.
Do you have the themes available ?
I've previously tried to install a theme, and then switched back to "(No Theme)"
What theme, where did it come from ? .........
Wine version: 2.0.2-1 (unstable)
Maybe this version, well being unstable,...maybe it just is unstable and does not work as expected. I would try using a stable version, and try to give a little bit more details so
that people can help me, if I did not find anything after doing some searches.

andoru

Re: Installing or choosing themes in Wine doesn't work

#3 Post by andoru »

GarryRicketson wrote:or maybe the OP is not even using Debian,
I *am* using Debian, which other distribution has unstable repositories?
Also, why are you talking to me as if I were the 3rd person?
GarryRicketson wrote:but a quick general search : Installing or choosing themes in Wine doesn't work
Which I already did... otherwise I wouldn't have asked here. All my searches on this issue haven't been useful.
GarryRicketson wrote:More info on what the OP has actually done, for example did you download any themes,
if you have not done that, there are no themes to install.
Do you have the themes available ?
Obviously I downloaded the themes and selected them from whithin winecfg.
GarryRicketson wrote:What theme, where did it come from ? .........
I don't remember as it's been a while, and considering I can't select any of the installed themes, as the dropdown menu in the Desktop Integration tab contains only "(No Theme)", I can't check to see what was the theme name. Besides that, I've since cleared the wine prefix, and started anew, with the issue persisting.

Looking in the prefix, under /windows/Resources/Themes/, there are subfolders with all the .msstyles files I've tried to install, they just don't seem to show up in the dropdown menu...

[quote="GarryRicketson"Maybe this version, well being unstable,...maybe it just is unstable and does not work as expected. I would try using a stable version, and try to give a little bit more details [/quote]

It has previously worked on the same version. I'd like to see if there is a practical solution before mucking around with the sources file and downgrading.