Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnu Tar exclude appears to be broken in Stretch

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
grooveman

Gnu Tar exclude appears to be broken in Stretch

#1 Post by grooveman »

Hi.

For years I have been backing up systems using tar and the -X (or --exclude) options. Now that I have upgraded some systems to Stretch, I find that it no longer works -- on any of these systems.

Normall I'd do something like this:

Code: Select all

tar -cpjvf /mnt/smbmountedfolder/mysystem.tar.bzw ./* -X /etc/xcludedfiles
Where /etc/xcluded files contained entries like:

Code: Select all

./sys
./tmp
./mnt
It always worked. Now with Stretch, however, no pattern I throw at it works. Doesn't matter if I try to use a file, or if I try to exclude right on the command line...

I tried using dozens of combinations of wildcards, quotes, escape characters, regex options... nothing works. I cannot find anything on google about this either.

It looks like the version on Stretch is 1.29b-1.1. I don't get any help from the man pages or from google.

Can anyone confirm this? Did they change the syntax, or is this just plain broken?

Thanks.

G

grooveman

Re: Gnu Tar exclude appears to be broken in Stretch

#2 Post by grooveman »

Ok... just found this...

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=831007

However, it looks like it was demoted to "wishlist"... I don't understand that... it is pretty huge..

dasein

Re: Gnu Tar exclude appears to be broken in Stretch

#3 Post by dasein »

grooveman wrote: (timestamp 12:27) I cannot find anything on google about this either.
[snip]
(timestamp 12:31) Ok... just found this...
Amazing how actually going to Google for just a minute or two dramatically changes the landscape and eliminates the need for a forum post, huh? Next time, maybe consider changing the order-of-execution: search first, then post.
grooveman wrote:...it looks like it was demoted to "wishlist"... I don't understand that... it is pretty huge..
Not when there's a workaround.
http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/ ... html#SEC44