Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WN511B Wifi adapter not able to connect to network w/ wicd

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Danjek3

WN511B Wifi adapter not able to connect to network w/ wicd

#1 Post by Danjek3 »

Hi there, I'm trying to get Wifi working on an install of Debian Stretch through Wicd. The adapter I'm using is a Netgear WN511B which connects through the PCMCIA card slot on my Thinkpad R51, using the the b43 driver. I've disabled the laptop's internal wifi adapter in the modprobe blacklist to avoid confusion since I'm gonna be using the external adapter only. Whenever I start up my computer, the interface is down so I have to use the ip command to put it back up. After that, whenever i try to use wicd to connect to my WPA2 home network, it goes through the procedure with the card's light blinking and then after it seems to finish, the interface goes down again, it never connects. Now, not even my 82540EP ethernet controller will work. I've tried googling and searching on this forum, and I found one topic (http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... ng#p650081) that seemed to be about an issue similar to mine. I tried to use the same fix he employed which was editing the /etc/network/interfaces file, although it still doesn't work. Thanks in advance.

Danjek3

Re: WN511B Wifi adapter not able to connect to network w/ wi

#2 Post by Danjek3 »

Ok, I seem to have fixed it by just reinstalling Debian and installing LXDE alongside it instead of trying to install a window manager after installation, wifi works how it's supposed to now.