[SOLVED] ACPI broken with HP DL380 G5

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

[SOLVED] ACPI broken with HP DL380 G5

Postby cybermcm » 2017-08-23 05:55

Hi,

I'm still using old HP DL380 G5 for my lab. Debian 9 only boots with acpi=off since acpi seems to be broken somehow (latest available BIOS installed). Everything works except with acpi=off I'm not longer able to power off the device. Server shuts down, last message "System halted".
Is there any way to power off the server even with acpi=off. Or is there probably a better solution to acpi=off? I tried these:
Code: Select all
nolapic
noapic
acpi_osi=“Linux”
acpi_osi=“Windows”
acpi=ht
pci=noacpi
acpi=noirq
pnpacpi=off

but only acpi=off works.

Any ideas?
Last edited by cybermcm on 2017-08-24 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
cybermcm

Re: ACPI broken with HP DL380 G5

Postby pendrachken » 2017-08-23 14:41

Try getting the kernel to report that it is a Windows version while using ACPI, sometimes this helps. Or look for fixed / fix your DSDT.

See here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DSDT

I would personally try the kernel reporting first. That or start digging into hardware, it's odd that an HP actual server machine is having major issues, so I would either suspect misbehaving hardware or a kernel regression ( if it is a regression a bug should be filed ).
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P
pendrachken

Postby cybermcm » 2017-08-23 19:01

Thanks for your idea, I tried the acpi_osi=xxxxx solution but it didn't work.
I'm still a beginner with Linux and was not able to work on the DSDT solution because I can't find any file by that name (maybe due to disabled ACPI)?

The DL380 G5 model is rather old by now but still fully operational. I have three of them in my lab and all of them have this behavior. Any further ideas? I'd love to work on a solution, provide logs or whatever is necessary...
The error message if acpi=off is missing:
nmi watchdog: bug: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for xxs! [swapper/0:1]
which repeats itself every 30 seconds

another update: tried to install Debian 8.9, works without acpi=off and properly power off
cybermcm

Postby pendrachken » 2017-08-23 21:32

Did you try with the full string? While ACPI is enabled?

acpi_os_name="Microsoft Windows NT"

I'm still a beginner with Linux and was not able to work on the DSDT solution because I can't find any file by that name (maybe due to disabled ACPI)?

Pretty sure ACPI has to be enabled, but it has been a long, long time since I had to mess with DSDT tables. Pretty sure you have to either rebuild the kernel too ( maybe not anymore? Take a look through the arch page ). Also look into checking voltages on the CPU power, it isn't as likely that it is a power supply issue as it's occurring on three machines, but it also isn't impossible.

As a last thing, I seem to have a vague feeling that I remember some of these types of errors were from either multi-processor support OR hyperthreading. I would first disable hyperthreading in the BIOS, then boot with ACPI on to see if the issue goes away, and then if it doesn't disable multi-processor support and try again. That will help narrow the issue down a bit.

If the server isn't doing anything too intensive you may get around the issue by keeping one or both of these settings disabled and running on a single core.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P
pendrachken

Postby cybermcm » 2017-08-24 12:36

ACPI: I did try the full string but no success.
But there is also very good news: I did check the BIOS settings, there is no CPU power setting, no multiprocessor and no hyperthreading setting.
But I found an interesting setting: "MPS Table Mode" with the default option "Full Table APIC". I switched to disabled and now my server boots (with several error messages) and I'm able to shut it down. All this works without the acpi=off setting! For now I don't see any downside setting this option to disabled.

Just for understanding: Jessie 8.9 works, Stretch 9.1 not. Is this a bug in Debian or somehow connected to the broken ACPI implementation?
cybermcm

Re: [SOLVED] ACPI broken with HP DL380 G5

Postby joel.maxuel » 2017-11-21 00:44

I am in the same boat. Except:

• nolapic option allows the system to boot (and soft power off) with "Full Table APIC", but I only have one core to show for it
  • I tried your method, and unfortunately it does not bring in both cores

This may be enough for me to downgrade to Jessie, and apt-pin a few Stretch packages. Unless there have been revelations since August?
joel.maxuel

Postby cybermcm » 2017-11-21 09:21

joel.maxuel wrote:Unless there have been revelations since August?

This bug was fixed with kernel 4.13, so if you can upgrade your kernel you should be fine.
cybermcm

Postby joel.maxuel » 2017-11-21 10:29

cybermcm wrote:This bug was fixed with kernel 4.13, so if you can upgrade your kernel you should be fine.

Oh awesome. I see 4.13 for sid, but not Stretch. Would you recommend apt-pinning to the newer release, compiling 4.13 using the 4.9 defconfig (seems like the more sensible of the two), or another option I may be missing?

Nevermind, asked too soon. I see it in backports*

*https://packages.debian.org/en/stretch-backports/kernel/linux-image-amd64
joel.maxuel

Postby cybermcm » 2017-11-21 15:34

Sid is always the unstable branch (some sort of beta). so it is possible to install the kernel from the Sid branch with Stretch. If a backport kernel is available you can also use the backport kernel...
cybermcm

Return to General Questions