Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] ACPI broken with HP DL380 G5

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
cybermcm

[SOLVED] ACPI broken with HP DL380 G5

#1 Post by cybermcm »

Hi,

I'm still using old HP DL380 G5 for my lab. Debian 9 only boots with acpi=off since acpi seems to be broken somehow (latest available BIOS installed). Everything works except with acpi=off I'm not longer able to power off the device. Server shuts down, last message "System halted".
Is there any way to power off the server even with acpi=off. Or is there probably a better solution to acpi=off? I tried these:

Code: Select all

nolapic
noapic
acpi_osi=“Linux”
acpi_osi=“Windows”
acpi=ht
pci=noacpi
acpi=noirq
pnpacpi=off
but only acpi=off works.

Any ideas?
Last edited by cybermcm on 2017-08-24 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

pendrachken

Re: ACPI broken with HP DL380 G5

#2 Post by pendrachken »

Try getting the kernel to report that it is a Windows version while using ACPI, sometimes this helps. Or look for fixed / fix your DSDT.

See here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DSDT

I would personally try the kernel reporting first. That or start digging into hardware, it's odd that an HP actual server machine is having major issues, so I would either suspect misbehaving hardware or a kernel regression ( if it is a regression a bug should be filed ).
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

cybermcm

#3 Post by cybermcm »

Thanks for your idea, I tried the acpi_osi=xxxxx solution but it didn't work.
I'm still a beginner with Linux and was not able to work on the DSDT solution because I can't find any file by that name (maybe due to disabled ACPI)?

The DL380 G5 model is rather old by now but still fully operational. I have three of them in my lab and all of them have this behavior. Any further ideas? I'd love to work on a solution, provide logs or whatever is necessary...
The error message if acpi=off is missing:

nmi watchdog: bug: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for xxs! [swapper/0:1]
which repeats itself every 30 seconds

another update: tried to install Debian 8.9, works without acpi=off and properly power off

pendrachken

#4 Post by pendrachken »

Did you try with the full string? While ACPI is enabled?

acpi_os_name="Microsoft Windows NT"
I'm still a beginner with Linux and was not able to work on the DSDT solution because I can't find any file by that name (maybe due to disabled ACPI)?
Pretty sure ACPI has to be enabled, but it has been a long, long time since I had to mess with DSDT tables. Pretty sure you have to either rebuild the kernel too ( maybe not anymore? Take a look through the arch page ). Also look into checking voltages on the CPU power, it isn't as likely that it is a power supply issue as it's occurring on three machines, but it also isn't impossible.

As a last thing, I seem to have a vague feeling that I remember some of these types of errors were from either multi-processor support OR hyperthreading. I would first disable hyperthreading in the BIOS, then boot with ACPI on to see if the issue goes away, and then if it doesn't disable multi-processor support and try again. That will help narrow the issue down a bit.

If the server isn't doing anything too intensive you may get around the issue by keeping one or both of these settings disabled and running on a single core.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

cybermcm

#5 Post by cybermcm »

ACPI: I did try the full string but no success.
But there is also very good news: I did check the BIOS settings, there is no CPU power setting, no multiprocessor and no hyperthreading setting.
But I found an interesting setting: "MPS Table Mode" with the default option "Full Table APIC". I switched to disabled and now my server boots (with several error messages) and I'm able to shut it down. All this works without the acpi=off setting! For now I don't see any downside setting this option to disabled.

Just for understanding: Jessie 8.9 works, Stretch 9.1 not. Is this a bug in Debian or somehow connected to the broken ACPI implementation?

joel.maxuel

Re: [SOLVED] ACPI broken with HP DL380 G5

#6 Post by joel.maxuel »

I am in the same boat. Except:
  • nolapic option allows the system to boot (and soft power off) with "Full Table APIC", but I only have one core to show for it
  • I tried your method, and unfortunately it does not bring in both cores
This may be enough for me to downgrade to Jessie, and apt-pin a few Stretch packages. Unless there have been revelations since August?

cybermcm

#7 Post by cybermcm »

joel.maxuel wrote:Unless there have been revelations since August?
This bug was fixed with kernel 4.13, so if you can upgrade your kernel you should be fine.

joel.maxuel

#8 Post by joel.maxuel »

cybermcm wrote:This bug was fixed with kernel 4.13, so if you can upgrade your kernel you should be fine.
Oh awesome. I see 4.13 for sid, but not Stretch. Would you recommend apt-pinning to the newer release, compiling 4.13 using the 4.9 defconfig (seems like the more sensible of the two), or another option I may be missing?

Nevermind, asked too soon. I see it in backports*

*https://packages.debian.org/en/stretch- ... mage-amd64

cybermcm

#9 Post by cybermcm »

Sid is always the unstable branch (some sort of beta). so it is possible to install the kernel from the Sid branch with Stretch. If a backport kernel is available you can also use the backport kernel...