Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Downgrading or upgrading unison to avoid compatibility issue

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
larienna

Downgrading or upgrading unison to avoid compatibility issue

#1 Post by larienna »

I have a server computer which has unison 2.40 installed on jessie while having my new computer installed on debian 9 with unison 2.48 and both computers cannot communicate with each other.

So I searched a bit and thought of downgrading my unison on my main computer to 2.40. So I uninstalled unison, and downloaded and installed the following package

unison2.32.52_2.32.52-7_amd64.deb
unison_2.40.102-2_amd64.deb
unison-all_2.40+2_all.deb

But I still get the error message that the expected version was 2.40, but 2.48 was sent.

So I was wondering if there is a way to upgrade the server computer on Jessie to 2.48 instead and reinstall the client computer to 2.48.

If possible, how can I upgrade my server to 2.48?
else, what went wrong with my downgrade explained above?

debiman

Re: Downgrading or upgrading unison to avoid compatibility i

#2 Post by debiman »

just to get things straight, your computers CAN communicate with each other, it's just unison that doesn't like version mismatches.
i ran into the same problem at some point and to my knowledge there's just nothing to do about it.
except, a workaround exists: mount the remote server via sshfs or nfs, then perform a local unison sync (i.e. unison doesn't have to be installed at all on the server).

kedaha

#3 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
unison is currently at the same version in current stable, testing and sid: 2.48.3-1 so if you wish to try, it can be easily backported on your jessie server (don't do it on stretch!), following the method given at SimpleBackportCreation.
Just make a directory for building the package and kick off with:

Code: Select all

$ dget -x http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/u/unison/unison_2.48.3-1.dsc 
and proceed as detailed on the wiki.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Unison 2.48.3 from Stretch didn't seem to have any trouble backporting to Jessie or even Wheezy:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... sie/unison

the 64-bit Jessie debs end up here: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... 8.0/amd64/
MX Linux packager and developer

larienna

#5 Post by larienna »

I was not exactly sure if it was possible to backport the package. I'll give it a try.

Yes, it's just unison that complains about versions.

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

larienna wrote:I was not exactly sure if it was possible to backport the package. I'll give it a try.

Yes, it's just unison that complains about versions.
You can either attempt to backport it yourself or install it from stevepusser's repository.
I haven't set up an unofficial repository myself but I know it can be successfully backported because I did it myself in Debian 8 "jessie."
DebianStable

$ vrms

larienna

#7 Post by larienna »

I tried following the steps on the SimpleBackportCreation page for package unison and unison-all. I don't need unison-gtk because it's only a server.

Even if I have little clue about what I was doing, I successfully built "unison-all", but I could not build "unison". The unison package failed at step:

dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
With the following error message

dpkg-source -b unison-2.48.3
dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: info: building unison using existing ./unison_2.48.3.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file lwt/depend, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file ubase/depend, use --include-removal to override
dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to fsmonitor/watchercommon.o: binary file contents changed
dpkg-source: error: add fsmonitor/watchercommon.o in debian/source/include-binaries if you want to store the modified binary in the debian tarball
dpkg-source: error: unrepresentable changes to source
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b unison-2.48.3 gave error exit status 2
I'll try to continue the procedure for unison-all. Not sure if the server is located in unison-all or unison.

larienna

#8 Post by larienna »

I forgot to note that there is a file named:

unison_2.48.3-1_i386.deb
that has been created. So I am not sure if it's installable if the step above failed.

Unison all cannot be installed because it requires unison main package. So I am stuck there. At worst I can try to install the package above.

larienna

#9 Post by larienna »

OK, I gave it a try and installed both packages. Then ran unison from my client computer and it worked. Thanks for the help.

kedaha

#10 Post by kedaha »

Yes, the backport method is a useful addition to ones bag of tricks; it's good that you did it yourself and it worked. One can always look at at the error messages some time.
DebianStable

$ vrms