Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Building a New Raid 10 Array on Debian 8

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bookie

Building a New Raid 10 Array on Debian 8

#1 Post by bookie »

Hi Guys :D
I have been looking at my fast running out of space on my raid 5 array that I have on my work server....I have 4x2TB WD Black drives at the moment and have been looking at 4x4TB WD red in raid 10.

I have the following motherboard GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 1.0) that can handle raid10...although I haven't read up on using the motherboards controller yet....

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Raid 10 and a good "How To" for installing it on my server...

I don't want to reinstall the server if possible....

Just want to remove the existing raid 5 drives and install the new ones and create the raid 10 configuration...

Any advice on this ...I will be grateful.... :D

bookie32

Segfault

Re: Building a New Raid 10 Array on Debian 8

#2 Post by Segfault »

Motherboard RAID? I doubt there is a real RAID controller. http://skrypuch.com/raid/

bookie

#3 Post by bookie »

Hi Segfault :D
Well, thanks for the link....a bit of an eye opener....
Have you experience with hardware raid....if so what controller would you recommend for my situation...
The motherboard has a few years on it but no problems as yet....

bookie32

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

As the article points out there is very little to benefit from using hardware RAID, the overhead of Linux mdraid is barely noticeable with modern CPUs. They say with RAID arrays more than 10 drives hardware RAID may perform marginally better. Just turn off your BIOS fakeraid and use mdraid. Additional benefit is even if your motherboard dies you can still assemble the array in another machine.

bookie

#5 Post by bookie »

Hi Segfault :D
Sorry, a bit slow on the uptake.....getting old :D
OK! brilliant .....the worst thing is I wish I had started with raid 10 in the beginning...
So, how does one get past the restrictions of a motherboard as to sata connections...?
I like the fact I can set up Clonezilla server edition on Debian and then clone my customers computers to a raid set up....I have an extra back up of these images clonezilla creates just don't know the best way to have extra drives in a computer that is restricted to the built in sata connections...
Any thoughts?

bookie32

Segfault

#6 Post by Segfault »

They sell add-on SATA cards. Shop carefully, some cheaper ones will not be up to expectations. Read reviews before you decide. Of course, these add-on cards are often advertised as RAID capable, they really mean fakeraid, this is marketing. And Windows users will never know they are running software RAID after installing the fakeraid driver.

bookie

#7 Post by bookie »

Hi again!
Thanks for the info going to have a look around....

bookie32

bookie

#8 Post by bookie »

Hi Segfault!
What do you think of this card....just as an extension of the motherboard and not because of its raid cababilities...would still use softraid in Linux....

StarTrech

bookie32

Segfault

#9 Post by Segfault »

Honestly, I do not know. Or shall I say I'm not willing to take the responsibility. I probably would opt for something like this myself.

bookie

#10 Post by bookie »

Hi Segfault!
I do appreciate your help and would not blame you in any way for the choice of card...Not my way....;)
Thanks again!

bookie32