Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] kernel compilation for Xeon processors

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
philo_neo

[solved] kernel compilation for Xeon processors

#1 Post by philo_neo »

Hello, I have just compiled a kernel on debian 9.1, and am surprised because I work on an HPC intel, and after compiling the kernel in 64 bit it generates me * amd64.deb image files.
This makes that I can not with the dpkg command install my new kernel.
Here is my command line after the menuconfig: nice -n19 make -j3 deb-pkg LOCALVERSION = -nixventure, how is it that it does not generate image files * i386.deb at compilation output, while I specified that I work with Xeon, in the menuconfig?

Regards
Philippe
Last edited by philo_neo on 2017-09-19 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

reinob

Re: kernel compilation for Xeon processors

#2 Post by reinob »

amd64 is the name of the 64-bit architecture in x86-compatible computers, so your kernel is OK.

check with dpkg --print-architecture
it should print "amd64"

philo_neo

#3 Post by philo_neo »

the best is to install Debian 9.1 AMD64 distribution on the HPC Intel, am I wrong or not?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

If building the kernel generated those amd64 packages on your machine, amd64 is what you have installed on it. For modern X86 processors, yes, it's the better choice over the 32-bit i386 architecture.
MX Linux packager and developer

pendrachken

#5 Post by pendrachken »

64bit X86 based processors ( Intel Xeon, P4, CORE2, CORE i3 / i5 / i7 / i9 and all modern AMD since ~2001 ) always use AMD64. It's called that since AMD came out with 64bit processors that also could be used with all prior 16 and 32 bit software before Intel did[1].

So yes, AMD64 is what you want. In fact many distributions are not supporting i386 / 32 bit installation anymore.

[1] Intel came out with their own 64 bit processor at around the same time as AMD, but it was a completely different instruction set. They still have this as IA64 on the Itanium line of server processors. It was more economical to bolt on the 64 bit instructions to the existing 32 bit architecture like AMD did than try to force everyone to rewrite software to work with a new architecture.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

philo_neo

#6 Post by philo_neo »

I installed an AMD64 distribution on my HPC Xeon, and recompiled a kernel in less than an hour, it works!

Post / Tjread Solved