Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Will foreign packages break my system?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
stevepusser

Re: Will foreign packages break my system?

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Woah, woah, woah there, my friend. Let's not start tossing around the FrankenDebian name for every system that installs a package that's not in the Debian repos. Reserve it for the truly messed up systems.

It's not a mortal sin to install one of those packages; you won't end up in Debian sHell, with RMSatan force feeding you gunk from the open source on his feet for all eternity.
MX Linux packager and developer

GarryRicketson

Re: Will foreign packages break my system?

#17 Post by GarryRicketson »

Will foreign packages break my system?
Is way to broad, or vague,...it all depends on which "foreign package" and where it came from,
and is it possible/recommended to install Ubuntu packages/ppa on Buster?
All though it is possible , it is NOT recommended:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

If you know what you are doing "self compiled packages" is a valid option.
djevil wrote:Hm, ok,
but Debian stable uses very old packages, and I wanted a rolling distro, so maybe I try Arch next.

Regards djevil
That is fine, but again, if you don't know what you are doing, installing all sorts of things from random sites, and using the ubunto ppa's will probably break your system.
The same would apply to writing your own programs and "self" compiling,
If you don't know what you are doing, odds are it will cause problems sooner
or later. If the OP knew what they were doing, they also would know how to avoid breaking their system when they , write , and compile a program, there
are safe ways to do that. But that would be a entire different topic.
To sum it up, I agree with stevepusser :
Woah, woah, woah there, my friend. Let's not start tossing around the FrankenDebian name for every system that installs a package that's not in the Debian repos. Reserve it for the truly messed up systems