My Debian can not start

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

My Debian can not start

Postby mfaridi » 2017-09-20 13:39

I started installed Debian 8 two years ago , I change source list from jessie to testing and upgrade 8 to 9 and everything works good . three days ago I do not change source list and I upgrade Debian 9 to 10 . and after reboot my Debian system can not boot and I see these errors .https://imgur.com/a/fNLGD
I see error systemd error
my source list use testing .
How I can solve this problem ??.
life is linux and debian is live
mfaridi
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 2005-04-21 07:48
Location: Afghanistan

Re: My Debian can not start

Postby Bulkley » 2017-09-20 14:34

mfaridi wrote:How I can solve this problem ??.


Use your Debian 9 backup. You didn't attempt to do Testing without backup, did you?

BTW, Testing is not an upgrade. It is available to test.
Bulkley
 
Posts: 5288
Joined: 2006-02-11 18:35

Re: My Debian can not start

Postby mfaridi » 2017-09-20 14:37

Bulkley wrote:
mfaridi wrote:How I can solve this problem ??.


Use your Debian 9 backup. You didn't attempt to do Testing without backup, did you?

BTW, Testing is not an upgrade. It is available to test.

I do not have backup , I want solve these problem and backup my Data.
Can I downgrade it Stretch ?
life is linux and debian is live
mfaridi
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 2005-04-21 07:48
Location: Afghanistan

Re: My Debian can not start

Postby debiman » 2017-09-21 18:27

mfaridi wrote:I change source list from jessie to testing and upgrade 8 to 9 and everything works good . three days ago I do not change source list and I upgrade Debian 9 to 10 .

from 8 to 9 is not the same as from jessie to testing.
and how did you "upgrade from 9 to 10" without changing sources?
please show us all your sources lists:

Code: Select all
cat /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*


but...
i suspect this is a
Image
Last edited by debiman on 2017-09-23 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: My Debian can not start

Postby mfaridi » 2017-09-23 13:20

After I use this link
http://blog.ciplogic.com/index.php/blog ... -to-wheezy

I see error about kernel panic and my system can not boot . So I reinstall stretch with Debian net install iso.
life is linux and debian is live
mfaridi
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 2005-04-21 07:48
Location: Afghanistan

Re: My Debian can not start

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-09-23 13:51

If you want help, you need to start posting the information as requested:
by debiman » 2017-09-21 12:27
--- please show us all your sources lists:
Code: Select all
cat /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*



If you want help from the person that wrote the blog you link to,
then you need to ask them, use the comments section they have.
Is this the advice you followed:
1. Reinstall (recommended)

This is actually the recommended option, since the init scripts have changed across versions. Also it's pretty hard to guarantee that the same packages will be there.


by mfaridi »So I reinstall stretch with Debian net install iso.


If you have done this, then you have over written your old system,
by mfaridi » I do not have backup , I want solve these problem and backup my Data.
Can I downgrade it Stretch ?

Since you re-installed , there is no "data" left from the old system, it would
have been overwritten when you installed.

Does the new install boot ?
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 4281
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: My Debian can not start

Postby mfaridi » 2017-09-23 14:47

GarryRicketson wrote:If you want help, you need to start posting the information as requested:
by debiman » 2017-09-21 12:27
--- please show us all your sources lists:
Code: Select all
cat /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*



If you want help from the person that wrote the blog you link to,
then you need to ask them, use the comments section they have.
Is this the advice you followed:
1. Reinstall (recommended)

This is actually the recommended option, since the init scripts have changed across versions. Also it's pretty hard to guarantee that the same packages will be there.


by mfaridi »So I reinstall stretch with Debian net install iso.


If you have done this, then you have over written your old system,
by mfaridi » I do not have backup , I want solve these problem and backup my Data.
Can I downgrade it Stretch ?

Since you re-installed , there is no "data" left from the old system, it would
have been overwritten when you installed.

Does the new install boot ?



I boot my system by gparted and copy all important data to another HDD, and reinstall Debian again.
life is linux and debian is live
mfaridi
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 2005-04-21 07:48
Location: Afghanistan

Re: My Debian can not start

Postby mfaridi » 2017-09-23 14:50

Thank link can not help me

http://blog.ciplogic.com/index.php/blog ... -to-wheezy

before I use that link I can boot recovery option and I can upgrade system , but after I use that link , my system can not boot and I have to fresh install.
I think downgrade is very hard in Linux.
life is linux and debian is live
mfaridi
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 2005-04-21 07:48
Location: Afghanistan

Re: My Debian can not start

Postby stevepusser » 2017-09-23 20:44

More evidence to support Kedeha's Konjecture, I see...
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.1.0, Pale Moon 27.5.0, Liquorix kernel 4.12-10, mpv 0.27.0, Kodi 17.3, 0ad 0.0.22, Mesa 13.0.6
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8817
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: My Debian can not start

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2017-09-23 20:58

From the looks of it, yo can not restore your data. If you still want Debian, install the latest release using this guide:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/

After that, install what software you need and just upgrade the system once in a while:
Code: Select all
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
User avatar
Wheelerof4te
 
Posts: 392
Joined: 2015-08-30 20:14

Re: My Debian can not start

Postby stevepusser » 2017-09-23 21:25

Do you have "testing" as the release in your sources, and then not do any upgrades for a very long time?
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.1.0, Pale Moon 27.5.0, Liquorix kernel 4.12-10, mpv 0.27.0, Kodi 17.3, 0ad 0.0.22, Mesa 13.0.6
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8817
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: My Debian can not start

Postby debiman » 2017-09-23 22:26

mfaridi wrote:Thank link can not help me

http://blog.ciplogic.com/index.php/blog ... -to-wheezy

before I use that link I can boot recovery option and I can upgrade system , but after I use that link , my system can not boot and I have to fresh install.
I think downgrade is very hard in Linux.

that article was written at a time when stretch was testing and wheezy was oldsatble.
nowadays stretch is stable and wheezy is oldoldstable.
and i'm the first to agree that all this is very, very confusing.

all in all, you (blindly) followed a random blog article (and even there it says that the recommended procedure is simply to reinstall), and are now blaming ALL of Linux because it didn't work...
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18


Return to General Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

fashionable