Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New Debian install running slow/freezing?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
trinhtiet

New Debian install running slow/freezing?

#1 Post by trinhtiet »

So i just finally installed Debian Jessie OS, replacing Ubuntu. But now it is running extremely slow. It's not internet connection. The internet speed is running fine (Videos load quickly), but it's like the system freezes every 30 seconds or so. A video can be fully loaded but still stops and starts constantly. Just browsing the internet, or non-internet things do the same also. I switched back to Ubuntu to see if it was different on there, but Ubuntu is running fine.
Any ideas for me on how to fix this or what it is?

Segfault

Re: New Debian install running slow/freezing?

#2 Post by Segfault »

You could tell us what video hardware you have and provide link to a pastebin site where you pasted your Xorg log.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

I have to ask why you installed the oldstable Jessie instead of the current Stretch release. Jessie won't support most post- 2014 hardware out of the box, just so you know...but you have not let us know anything about what you have.

Problems like yours can also very often be due to missing non-free firmware, due to it not being included in the standard install. This is a feature of Debian, not a bug. :D If you installed inxi and provided the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -F
this can supply a lot of clues to what might be going on.
MX Linux packager and developer

makh

#4 Post by makh »

trinhtiet wrote:So i just finally installed Debian Jessie OS, replacing Ubuntu. But now it is running extremely slow. It's not internet connection. The internet speed is running fine (Videos load quickly), but it's like the system freezes every 30 seconds or so. A video can be fully loaded but still stops and starts constantly. Just browsing the internet, or non-internet things do the same also. I switched back to Ubuntu to see if it was different on there, but Ubuntu is running fine.
Any ideas for me on how to fix this or what it is?
1. Test a debian live cd.
2. Do inform if anything you installed is out of debian repos.
3. Were there any warnings during the installation?
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

maximus1978

#5 Post by maximus1978 »

What video card does your system have?

1. Open a terminal
2. Type "lspci"

Please post the output.