New Debian install running slow/freezing?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

New Debian install running slow/freezing?

Postby trinhtiet » 2017-10-04 17:36

So i just finally installed Debian Jessie OS, replacing Ubuntu. But now it is running extremely slow. It's not internet connection. The internet speed is running fine (Videos load quickly), but it's like the system freezes every 30 seconds or so. A video can be fully loaded but still stops and starts constantly. Just browsing the internet, or non-internet things do the same also. I switched back to Ubuntu to see if it was different on there, but Ubuntu is running fine.
Any ideas for me on how to fix this or what it is?
trinhtiet

Re: New Debian install running slow/freezing?

Postby Segfault » 2017-10-04 19:49

You could tell us what video hardware you have and provide link to a pastebin site where you pasted your Xorg log.
Segfault

Postby stevepusser » 2017-10-04 20:54

I have to ask why you installed the oldstable Jessie instead of the current Stretch release. Jessie won't support most post- 2014 hardware out of the box, just so you know...but you have not let us know anything about what you have.

Problems like yours can also very often be due to missing non-free firmware, due to it not being included in the standard install. This is a feature of Debian, not a bug. :D If you installed inxi and provided the output of
Code: Select all
inxi -F

this can supply a lot of clues to what might be going on.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Krita 3.3.2.1, Pale Moon 27.6.0, Audacity 2.2.0, mpv 0.27.0, Corebird 1.7.1, Firefox 57.0, SMPlayer 17.11.2
stevepusser

Postby makh » 2017-10-18 04:00

trinhtiet wrote:So i just finally installed Debian Jessie OS, replacing Ubuntu. But now it is running extremely slow. It's not internet connection. The internet speed is running fine (Videos load quickly), but it's like the system freezes every 30 seconds or so. A video can be fully loaded but still stops and starts constantly. Just browsing the internet, or non-internet things do the same also. I switched back to Ubuntu to see if it was different on there, but Ubuntu is running fine.
Any ideas for me on how to fix this or what it is?

1. Test a debian live cd.
2. Do inform if anything you installed is out of debian repos.
3. Were there any warnings during the installation?
HP Probook 440 G2: Arch, Debian Stable
Server: none
Past: Debian, Centos, Ubuntu, Opensuse
GUI: Openbox, Cinnamon
Chroot: Debian, Ubuntu
VM: Devuan

Employing the best:
Arabic
Debian
Homeopathic

For new: Try Linux Mint
makh

Postby maximus1978 » 2017-10-31 13:11

What video card does your system have?

1. Open a terminal
2. Type "lspci"

Please post the output.
maximus1978

Return to General Questions