Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Project Categories missing from Netbeans

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
banksidepoet

Project Categories missing from Netbeans

#1 Post by banksidepoet »

Hi.

I have installed NetBeans from Stretch "Stable" with simply apt install netbeans (i.e. no suggested)

I want to see if it's good for web dev (or overkill).

Unfortunately, when I click NEW... there are very few Project Categories and none related to web dev (html, php, etc.) I only have "Java", "NetBeans Modules" and "Samples"

Why are they all missing? How can I install them?

Cheers

GarryRicketson

Re: Project Categories missing from Netbeans

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Have you read any of the documentation for Netbeans, ?
Is there a manual ?
example:

Code: Select all

man netbeans 
In a nut shell, it appears there are various additional "plugins" etc, that
you need to install.
by banksidepoet » there are very few Project Categories and none related to web dev (html, php, etc.) I only have "Java", "NetBeans Modules" and "Samples"
That is correct, just as it says here :
Extensible Java IDE

Integrated Development Environment for software developers. It supports development of desktop, enterprise, web, and mobile applications. Package includes the Base IDE, Java Development Tools and Plug-in Development Tools. Support for PHP, Ruby, C/C++, Java EE and others can be added.
Or you have to learn how to use the Ide, and create your own platform.
There seems to be plenty available :
https://netbeans.org/community/index.html

https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/webclient/ ... arted.html

https://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials ... ditor.html
NetBeans Platform HTML Editor

This tutorial provides a very simple and quick introduction to the NetBeans Platform workflow by walking you through the creation of a simple HTML Editor. Though simple to create, the HTML Editor you create will be a mature application because it will reuse the infrastructure provided by the NetBeans Platform, as well as several modules from NetBeans IDE. For example, without any coding, your HTML Editor will have a mature window system, which it reuses from the NetBeans Platform. Once you are done with this tutorial, you will have a general understanding of how to create, build, and run applications on top of the NetBeans Platform.
How to use the Netbeans IDE on Debian

banksidepoet

Re: Project Categories missing from Netbeans

#3 Post by banksidepoet »

This is from the NetBeans forum: <"you can add it [HTML5] by selecting Tools->Plugins, select the "Available Plugins" tab, click on "Name" to sort by name, scroll down to the HTML selections, check them all, Click "Install".>
On the Debian version, there are ZERO available plugins listed. Have I not installed something?

I have spent an hour or more looking through the NetBeans help pages. All I can find are very helpful guides on working with HTML but they assume you have the Project Category installed already. I can find no help on installing plugins ...later. Plenty of help on downloading the software and installing it with the HTML extensions, but I don't want to do that: Debian has a NetBeans package.

I have also looked through the Debian pages and can find no help on whether the plugins are available as packages or not.

I don't want to develop my own HTML editor, just take a quick look at the one NetBeans offers to see if it's for me.

Bottom line. How to get the plugins (preferably as Stretch Stable packages).

I have looked, including the links you've sent and the man page, and am getting nowhere.

Cheers.