Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Grub2 on Debian: problem loading intel-ucode

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
LPC11

[SOLVED] Grub2 on Debian: problem loading intel-ucode

#1 Post by LPC11 »

Grub2 is used to manage a multi-boot system, and Grub2 is installed on debian stable. This is a UEFI system; the EFI is installed at /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi.

One of the installs on the same machine is Arch. Executing update-grub runs the os-prober script (which searches for other operating systems), and it correctly finds the Arch installation, then adds it to the grub menu. But, because Arch requires an intel-ucode.img file to be loaded in addition to the initramfs-linux.img file, update-grub does not add the intel-ucode.img to the initrd line of grub.cfg.

Instead the initrd line looks like this:

Code: Select all

initrd /initramfs-linux.img
I can manually modify grub.cfg so the line correctly reads:

Code: Select all

initrd /intel-ucode.img /initramfs-linux.img
Then, Arch loads the microcode correctly, but I would rather avoid having to do manual updates each time I run update-grub. Can the
grub configuration be changed so that update-grub will add the intel-ucode.img file to the initrd line?
Last edited by LPC11 on 2017-10-25 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Grub2 on Debian: problem loading intel-ucode with Arch i

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Use /etc/grub.d/40_custom to add a menuentry for Arch with the correct details.
deadbang