Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ping under mobile network

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bbonnot

Ping under mobile network

#1 Post by bbonnot »

Hello

I am running Debian 9 with kernel 4.9.0-4-amd64. My internet access is through my mobile supplier in 4G by sharing connection with my phone.
I fail to ping my public IP address.

I get my IP on this site:

getIP

and the command :

Code: Select all

ping 37.168.204.187
returns

Code: Select all

PING 37.168.204.187 (37.168.204.187) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- 37.168.204.187 ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 5124ms

debiman

Re: Ping under mobile network

#2 Post by debiman »

this is more or less normal for mobile broadband.

have you tested with soem other IPs, like google's nameserver 8.8.8.8?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

Note that the IP address displayed by sites such as GetIP may not be the public IP address of your mobile device, but the public address of a Carrier-grade NAT or a proxy.
Why do you need to ping your own public IP address ?

bbonnot

#4 Post by bbonnot »

I created a dns for my computer to use it as a ssh server and I can't ping my domain and I found that I can't even ping my ip address.

Yes I can ping 8.8.8.8

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

Mobile networks are almost always NATted. Basically that means that you don't have an ip of your own. It is shared by everyone (or some subset) of the phones and devices on that carrier.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/nat

reinob

#6 Post by reinob »

bbonnot wrote:I created a dns for my computer to use it as a ssh server and I can't ping my domain and I found that I can't even ping my ip address.

Yes I can ping 8.8.8.8
adding to what @pylkko said, you are effectively not connected to the Internet but to your providers Intranet.
you won't be able to connect from anywhere to your computer.

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

yes, your IP is constantly changing.
there would be ways around that (i forget what it's called. some service that constantly checks your IP, and adjusts settings when it changes), but what is probably just as important is that your ISP is likely to have all sorts of restrictions in place that will make it harder or impossible for you to use your machine as a server (effectively that is what it is even if it's "only" ssh) via mobile broadband.

pylkko

#8 Post by pylkko »

debiman wrote:yes, your IP is constantly changing.
there would be ways around that (i forget what it's called. some service that constantly checks your IP, and adjusts settings when it changes), but what is probably just as important is that your ISP is likely to have all sorts of restrictions in place that will make it harder or impossible for you to use your machine as a server (effectively that is what it is even if it's "only" ssh) via mobile broadband.
If you are behind a NAT scheme on mobile you basically don't have a personal public ip, so it does not matter if your ip changes... You are not going to be able to connect to your server from outside even if your ip does not change.

The best way around this problem is to contact the service provider and ask for a real connection, as they likely have such things for enterprises. But that might mean you have to pay more.

Then there are NAT traversal techniques... but anyone whose that deep in it likely knows how to find better info than anything available here.