Primarily media server / headless system

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Primarily media server / headless system

Postby tdiguy » 2017-10-22 22:45

I have debian 9 running on a small home computer. There is no keyboard, mouse or monitor connected to it now that its set up. However there are occasions where i greatly prefer to use a GUI over a cli environment. For example i love using gparted as a partition tool, far more than any other command line tool.
I have tighervnc server installed and i can connect to it and such. However my desktop had nothing, no menue or anything so i am very challenged to run programs. I have found that it normally runs on display 1 when i try running it on display 0 i get an error.
So where should i look to figure out what i am doing wrong on this? I would really like to have a menue with the different programs installed when i connect via vnc.
tdiguy
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2017-10-12 13:48

Re: Primarily media server / headless system

Postby reinob » 2017-10-23 11:29

tdiguy wrote:I have debian 9 running on a small home computer. There is no keyboard, mouse or monitor connected to it now that its set up. However there are occasions where i greatly prefer to use a GUI over a cli environment. For example i love using gparted as a partition tool, far more than any other command line tool.
I have tighervnc server installed and i can connect to it and such. However my desktop had nothing, no menue or anything so i am very challenged to run programs. I have found that it normally runs on display 1 when i try running it on display 0 i get an error.
So where should i look to figure out what i am doing wrong on this? I would really like to have a menue with the different programs installed when i connect via vnc.


which desktop environment and/or window manager did you install?
from what you tell, your server could be running X but nothing more than that. Normally it should spawn a terminal as default (i.e. instead of a) window manager.

how did you set it up?
reinob
 
Posts: 521
Joined: 2014-06-30 11:42

Re: Primarily media server / headless system

Postby tdiguy » 2017-10-23 22:53

reinob wrote:
which desktop environment and/or window manager did you install?
from what you tell, your server could be running X but nothing more than that. Normally it should spawn a terminal as default (i.e. instead of a) window manager.

how did you set it up?

This i am not 100% sure on, i do not know debian very well, except to say that i went with the more basic setup for debian which did install a graphical frontend at first. I modded it a bit to autologin my user id. Then i use: sudo systemctl set-default runlevel3.target and sudo systemctl set-default runlevel5.target of course runlevel 3 to have it load just the cli with networking. When i want to use the gui i use that runulevel5 command and reboot.
tdiguy
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2017-10-12 13:48

Re: Primarily media server / headless system

Postby reinob » 2017-10-24 15:00

tdiguy wrote:
reinob wrote:
which desktop environment and/or window manager did you install?
from what you tell, your server could be running X but nothing more than that. Normally it should spawn a terminal as default (i.e. instead of a) window manager.

how did you set it up?

This i am not 100% sure on, i do not know debian very well, except to say that i went with the more basic setup for debian which did install a graphical frontend at first. I modded it a bit to autologin my user id. Then i use: sudo systemctl set-default runlevel3.target and sudo systemctl set-default runlevel5.target of course runlevel 3 to have it load just the cli with networking. When i want to use the gui i use that runulevel5 command and reboot.


I guess it's hard to help with so little information.. :)

Reading https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TigerVNC it appears that the tigervnc server runs ~/.vnc/xstartup as an init script when starting the X session.

Did you do anything with this file? Can you post its contents?
The example given in that Wiki is:
Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
exec startlxqt


This of course assumes you have installed lxqt.
You could use startxfce if you have installed xfce, etc.

Good luck.
reinob
 
Posts: 521
Joined: 2014-06-30 11:42

Re: Primarily media server / headless system

Postby tdiguy » 2017-10-24 15:44

Looking through the usr/bin area i think i have LXDE for my gui.
I could not find the log file you mentioned but it looks like that came from archlinux.
I did find this tough:
cat Home-theater\:1.log

Xvnc TigerVNC 1.7.0 - built Apr 9 2017 14:38:13
Copyright (C) 1999-2016 TigerVNC Team and many others (see README.txt)
See http://www.tigervnc.org for information on TigerVNC.
Underlying X server release 11903000, The X.Org Foundation


Fri Oct 20 18:13:45 2017
vncext: VNC extension running!
vncext: Listening for VNC connections on local interface(s), port 5901
vncext: created VNC server for screen 0

Fri Oct 20 18:16:02 2017
Connections: accepted: 127.0.0.1::41616
SConnection: Client needs protocol version 3.8
SConnection: Client requests security type VncAuth(2)

Fri Oct 20 18:16:07 2017
VNCSConnST: Server default pixel format depth 24 (32bpp) little-endian rgb888
VNCSConnST: Client pixel format depth 6 (8bpp) rgb222

Fri Oct 20 18:16:58 2017
Connections: closed: 127.0.0.1::41616 (Clean disconnection)
EncodeManager: Framebuffer updates: 28
EncodeManager: RRE:
EncodeManager: Solid: 22 rects, 122.014 kpixels
EncodeManager: 374 B (1:326.947 ratio)
EncodeManager: ZRLE:
EncodeManager: Bitmap RLE: 11 rects, 472.4 kpixels
EncodeManager: 2.98242 KiB (1:154.726 ratio)
EncodeManager: Indexed RLE: 39 rects, 1.79544 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 26.4062 KiB (1:66.4168 ratio)
EncodeManager: Total: 72 rects, 2.38986 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 29.7539 KiB (1:78.4666 ratio)

Fri Oct 20 18:17:31 2017
Connections: accepted: 127.0.0.1::41618
SConnection: Client needs protocol version 3.8
SConnection: Client requests security type VncAuth(2)

Fri Oct 20 18:17:39 2017
VNCSConnST: Server default pixel format depth 24 (32bpp) little-endian rgb888
VNCSConnST: Client pixel format depth 24 (32bpp) little-endian rgb888

Fri Oct 20 18:22:26 2017
Connections: closed: 127.0.0.1::41618 (Clean disconnection)
EncodeManager: Framebuffer updates: 543
EncodeManager: CopyRect:
EncodeManager: Copies: 54 rects, 7.96687 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 864 B (1:36884.4 ratio)
EncodeManager: RRE:
EncodeManager: Solid: 84 rects, 1.40619 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 1.64062 KiB (1:3348.66 ratio)
EncodeManager: ZRLE:
EncodeManager: Bitmap RLE: 28 rects, 147.442 kpixels
EncodeManager: 1.05957 KiB (1:543.875 ratio)
EncodeManager: Indexed RLE: 157 rects, 1.28031 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 38.2109 KiB (1:130.932 ratio)
EncodeManager: Full Colour: 846 rects, 16.9421 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 4.2672 MiB (1:15.1478 ratio)
EncodeManager: Total: 1.169 krects, 27.7429 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 4.30797 MiB (1:24.5693 ratio)
Warning: VNC extension does not support -reset, terminating instead. Use -noreset to prevent termination.

Xvnc TigerVNC 1.7.0 - built Apr 9 2017 14:38:13
Copyright (C) 1999-2016 TigerVNC Team and many others (see README.txt)
See http://www.tigervnc.org for information on TigerVNC.
Underlying X server release 11903000, The X.Org Foundation


Sun Oct 22 19:04:01 2017
vncext: VNC extension running!
vncext: Listening for VNC connections on local interface(s), port 5901
vncext: created VNC server for screen 0

Sun Oct 22 19:05:23 2017
Connections: accepted: 127.0.0.1::39002
SConnection: Client needs protocol version 3.8
SConnection: Client requests security type VncAuth(2)

Sun Oct 22 19:05:28 2017
VNCSConnST: Server default pixel format depth 24 (32bpp) little-endian rgb888
VNCSConnST: Client pixel format depth 24 (32bpp) little-endian rgb888

Sun Oct 22 19:14:01 2017
Connections: closed: 127.0.0.1::39002 (Clean disconnection)
EncodeManager: Framebuffer updates: 1710
EncodeManager: CopyRect:
EncodeManager: Copies: 108 rects, 4.3993 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 1.6875 KiB (1:10184.3 ratio)
EncodeManager: RRE:
EncodeManager: Solid: 227 rects, 2.87738 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 4.43359 KiB (1:2535.73 ratio)
EncodeManager: ZRLE:
EncodeManager: Bitmap RLE: 82 rects, 603.754 kpixels
EncodeManager: 3.22754 KiB (1:731.014 ratio)
EncodeManager: Indexed RLE: 389 rects, 3.73105 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 84.3301 KiB (1:172.88 ratio)
EncodeManager: Full Colour: 2.312 krects, 35.5547 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 7.46917 MiB (1:18.1623 ratio)
EncodeManager: Total: 3.118 krects, 47.1662 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 7.56066 MiB (1:23.8022 ratio)

Sun Oct 22 19:17:42 2017
Connections: accepted: 127.0.0.1::39014
SConnection: Client needs protocol version 3.8
SConnection: Client requests security type VncAuth(2)

Sun Oct 22 19:17:46 2017
VNCSConnST: Server default pixel format depth 24 (32bpp) little-endian rgb888
VNCSConnST: Client pixel format depth 24 (32bpp) little-endian rgb888

Sun Oct 22 19:17:51 2017
Connections: closed: 127.0.0.1::39014 (Clean disconnection)
EncodeManager: Framebuffer updates: 2
EncodeManager: ZRLE:
EncodeManager: Indexed RLE: 1 rects, 216 pixels
EncodeManager: 46 B (1:19.0435 ratio)
EncodeManager: Full Colour: 37 rects, 2.28022 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 1007.79 KiB (1:8.83868 ratio)
EncodeManager: Total: 38 rects, 2.28043 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 1007.83 KiB (1:8.83914 ratio)
Warning: VNC extension does not support -reset, terminating instead. Use -noreset to prevent termination.
tdiguy
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2017-10-12 13:48

Re: Primarily media server / headless system

Postby debiman » 2017-10-25 05:23

nobody's going to help if you just dump random log files here.

please, read tigervnc documentation and act on it.

do not dismiss something as being only for archlinux - the arch wiki has great information and most of it applies to all sorts of linuxes.
you might need to create that file.
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: Primarily media server / headless system

Postby acewiza » 2017-10-25 12:35

tdiguy wrote:This i am not 100% sure on, i do not know debian very well, except... I would really like to have a menue with the different programs installed when i connect via vnc.

Under the circumstances, You should just perform a re-install and carefully select all the software you want/need. Un-screwing a questionable mess like this is typically going to take alot longer and probably not result in a satisfactory system anyway.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.
User avatar
acewiza
 
Posts: 267
Joined: 2013-05-28 12:38
Location: Out West

Re: Primarily media server / headless system

Postby reinob » 2017-10-25 17:14

tdiguy wrote:I could not find the log file you mentioned but it looks like that came from archlinux.


I must say you have to really RTFM (no offense intended).
http://tigervnc.org/doc/vncserver.html

You have to create that file if it doesn't exist and put whatever command you want to run as your X session.
Try with "exec xterm" and see if you get a shell when connecting.
If it works, you can take it from there..
reinob
 
Posts: 521
Joined: 2014-06-30 11:42


Return to General Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

fashionable