Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

_apt permissions on 'partial' folders

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
LeeE

_apt permissions on 'partial' folders

#1 Post by LeeE »

After upgrading a test system from Jessie to Stretch I've found that the permissions on '/var/cache/apt/archives/partial' and '/var/lib/apt/lists/partial' are set to 700 for the _apt user every time an update is performed, overwriting my manually set permissions, with the result that my rsync based backup scripts now raise errors because the daemon can no longer access these two folders.

Note that everything else in '/var/cache/apt/' and '/var/lib/apt/' still allows read access, so everything else in the 'lists' and 'archives' is still getting backed up ok.

Of course, to simply stop the errors I could exclude these two folders but that's not really solving the problem; that's just not backing up those two folders (even though I know they'll normally be empty).

Any ideas how to get around this?

I'd also like to know why such strict permissions are being enforced on what is essentially a temporary storage space to hold incomplete files, just while they're being downloaded, especially when it seems ok to then allow them to be generally readable once the download is complete? I just can't see any sense in that.

Thanks
...or something