vim insert help in Debian

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

vim insert help in Debian

Postby NemmieDragon » 2017-10-31 06:10

I am new to Linux, so forgive me for not knowing all the tricks. But I can not get the insert command to work by hitting I in vim. Now before you say use nano or some other editor, I can not. This is an assignment for my unix/Linux class. I am using the minimal version of Debian. When I type in vi /etc/fstab then I go to hit I to insert nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? I tried searching vim on here before making this post, but got no results. I am sorry if this is a repost.
NemmieDragon

Re: vim insert help in Debian

Postby bigrigdriver » 2017-10-31 06:40

Linux is case sensitive. In vi/vim, use the lower case i instead of upper case I to insert text.
Registered GNU/Linux user #170078

Go as google before you ask on these boards.

It it isn't broken, Tweak It !!!
bigrigdriver

Postby jalisco » 2017-10-31 09:31

bigrigdriver wrote:Linux is case sensitive. In vi/vim, use the lower case i instead of upper case I to insert text.

Bigrigdriver is 100% correct.

You might want to find a vi(m) cheat sheet which shows what all the characters do. Just by having that, at hand, you would be able to see that vi(m) is case sensitive.
jalisco

Postby NemmieDragon » 2017-11-01 00:15

bigrigdriver wrote:Linux is case sensitive. In vi/vim, use the lower case i instead of upper case I to insert text.
NemmieDragon

Postby NemmieDragon » 2017-11-01 00:17

Well I have to always do :set nocp to make it where I can use the i. What is calling this?
NemmieDragon

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-11-01 06:18

Have a look in /etc/vim/vimrc.tiny — that's the system-wide configuration file.

I'm not sure if vim-tiny sources ~/.vimrc but you could check that as well.

Otherwise, you really should be using ed(1), it's the standard text editor... :mrgreen:
"Only the mediocre are always at their best." — Jean Giraudoux
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby NemmieDragon » 2017-11-08 03:19

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Have a look in /etc/vim/vimrc.tiny — that's the system-wide configuration file.

I'm not sure if vim-tiny sources ~/.vimrc but you could check that as well.

Otherwise, you really should be using ed(1), it's the standard text editor... :mrgreen:

So I have looked into the file, [set runtimepatch=~/.vim,/var/lib/vim/addons,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/usr/share/vim/vim80,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after,/var/lib/vim/addons/after,~/.vim/after
set compatible ]
NemmieDragon

Return to General Questions