Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

vim insert help in Debian

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
NemmieDragon

vim insert help in Debian

#1 Post by NemmieDragon »

I am new to Linux, so forgive me for not knowing all the tricks. But I can not get the insert command to work by hitting I in vim. Now before you say use nano or some other editor, I can not. This is an assignment for my unix/Linux class. I am using the minimal version of Debian. When I type in vi /etc/fstab then I go to hit I to insert nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? I tried searching vim on here before making this post, but got no results. I am sorry if this is a repost.

bigrigdriver

Re: vim insert help in Debian

#2 Post by bigrigdriver »

Linux is case sensitive. In vi/vim, use the lower case i instead of upper case I to insert text.
Registered GNU/Linux user #170078

Go ask google before you ask on these boards.

It it isn't broken, Tweak It !!!

jalisco

#3 Post by jalisco »

bigrigdriver wrote:Linux is case sensitive. In vi/vim, use the lower case i instead of upper case I to insert text.
Bigrigdriver is 100% correct.

You might want to find a vi(m) cheat sheet which shows what all the characters do. Just by having that, at hand, you would be able to see that vi(m) is case sensitive.

NemmieDragon

#4 Post by NemmieDragon »

bigrigdriver wrote:Linux is case sensitive. In vi/vim, use the lower case i instead of upper case I to insert text.

NemmieDragon

#5 Post by NemmieDragon »

Well I have to always do :set nocp to make it where I can use the i. What is calling this?

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Have a look in /etc/vim/vimrc.tiny — that's the system-wide configuration file.

I'm not sure if vim-tiny sources ~/.vimrc but you could check that as well.

Otherwise, you really should be using ed(1), it's the standard text editor... :mrgreen:
deadbang

NemmieDragon

#7 Post by NemmieDragon »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Have a look in /etc/vim/vimrc.tiny — that's the system-wide configuration file.

I'm not sure if vim-tiny sources ~/.vimrc but you could check that as well.

Otherwise, you really should be using ed(1), it's the standard text editor... :mrgreen:
So I have looked into the file, [set runtimepatch=~/.vim,/var/lib/vim/addons,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/usr/share/vim/vim80,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after,/var/lib/vim/addons/after,~/.vim/after
set compatible ]