Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Apt (or something) eating up all HD space every day

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
debiman

Re: Apt (or something) eating up all HD space every day

#16 Post by debiman »

^ of course.
but, assuming it performs familiar apt tasks, i wonder how it can "fill up all hd space"?
simply checking for available updates, that shouldn't take any hd space at all?

i just checked.

Code: Select all

cd /var/cache/apt
watch du -h &
watch ls -al
around 400MB altogether, most of it in archives subfolder.

now in another terminal

Code: Select all

apt update
apt upgrade
during every update, the /var/cache/apt/*.bin files get recreated.
during upgrade, there are some changes in archives - the value first goes down significantly, then goes up again, and because there were some updates this time, settles on a slightly higher value (first 412MB, now 424MB).

kurros, you might want to repeat this troubleshooting.
how full is the partition?

PS:
my wording was a little unfortunate; i am NOT the OP, i just tried to get a better view on the situation by performing similar tasks on my own machine.
in the end we still need to know what the apt-daily scripts actually do.
Last edited by debiman on 2017-11-09 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

pylkko

Re: Apt (or something) eating up all HD space every day

#17 Post by pylkko »

I don't think that it can easily fill up an entire empty disk. However, if you are running a system with a partition too full to begin with then it is different. Also, it much depends on whether or not you are running a standard Debian stable install or not, as the packages do not change much (only, often very small security patches). However, as we well know, more than a few users out there add all kinds of third party repositories and try to use testing as a rolling release etc. The downloaded packages cache size will also vary depending on how many packages you are using. So I can imagine other situations where it might be more severe.