Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Pulseaudio raop module with multiple Apple Airports

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
IBM Portable PC

Pulseaudio raop module with multiple Apple Airports

#1 Post by IBM Portable PC »

I can readily stream to either of two 1st generation Airport Express units, however I've tried combining a few ways without success. When streaming to both simultaneously, the Airports activity LEDs both flash rapidly, however nothing is heard.

Should the pulseaudio raop module be able to stream to multiple clients simultaneously?

I thought of feeding into JACK, however it appears that only a single source and sink can be 'patched' to JACK?

All other suggestions are welcome...

IBM Portable PC

Re: Pulseaudio raop module with multiple Apple Airports

#2 Post by IBM Portable PC »

Further to my previous post:

- I am running Debian 9 Stretch headless with no desktop environment installed.

- Pulseaudio in Stretch is version 11

- my /etc/pulse/default.pa currently contains:

set-default-source alsa_input.usb-VIA_Technologies_Inc._USB_Audio_Device-00.analog-stereo
load-module module-loopback source="alsa_input.usb-VIA_Technologies_Inc._USB_Audio_Device-00.analog-stereo" sink=jack_out
load-module module-loopback source=jack_in sink=AE1
# load-module module-loopback source=jack_in sink=AE4

The last line is commented out as jack only appears to accept one sink from pulseaudio, with both lines pulseaudio -D fails to start.

I followed the Pulseaudio with Jack guide here:
https://docs-old.fedoraproject.org/en-U ... _JACK.html

Before trying Jack, I tried default.pa with:
set-default-source alsa_input.usb-VIA_Technologies_Inc._USB_Audio_Device-00.analog-stereo
load-module module-raop-sink sink_name=AE1 server=192.168.15.6:5000 sink_properties=device.description=AE1
load-module module-raop-sink sink_name=AE4 server=192.168.15.18:5000 sink_properties=device.description=AE4
load-module module-combine-sink sink_name=AEs sink_properties=device.description="AEs",slaves=AE1,AE4
load-module module-loopback source="alsa_input.usb-VIA_Technologies_Inc._USB_Audio_Device-00.analog-stereo" sink=AEs

This works to some extent, pavucontrol displays exactly what I want with activity on AEs whilst the activity leds on both Airports flash rapidly, however there was no sound from either Airport. When I used pavucontrol to switch from the combined AEs output, to either AE1 or AE4, I had sound from the selected Airport. It appears that the raop pulseaudio module only allows a single raop sink to function at any one time.