Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Network-Manager "device not ready" rtl8821ae

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
kenny_w

Network-Manager "device not ready" rtl8821ae

#1 Post by kenny_w »

Hey everyone. I have been using Debian Linux on my laptop for quite some time now, I recently got a new WiFi PCI-E card, the RTL8821AE, but I've unfortunately been having some very weird problems with it.
I don't have problems with WICD, don't have problems with the built-in bluetooth on the RTL8821AE, but whenever I disconnect from the wireless network I am first connected to, the device goes into "device not ready"
and then I have to do sudo service network-manager restart... I don't encounter this issue on Fedora, or even on other Debian derivatives.. What gives?
I think the problem only occurs when I am using a static IP although I could be wrong - I'm going to do some more tests on it later to confirm this theory, after I get back from getting groceries.

I've tried MX-Linux & Fedora & both of those seem to work fine, but neither of those run like Debian does! Debian is very smooth & stable, Fedora is sorta buggy & MX-17 is still in beta.

WICD isn't really all too appealing either, network-manager is nice & very simple. Too bad WICD couldn't just add the connections to a drop-down menu like network-manager... I suppose there isn't any 3rd party WICD front-end that would make it look like network-manager eh?

Also, does anyone know how I would strip the rtl8821ae driver from the kernel? Because I don't have to install anything to make the WiFi card work, the rtl8821ae driver seems to be built-in....
How would I use a different rtl8821ae driver when they're both named rtl8821ae? like for example the github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new driver is also RTL8821AE, is there a way I can change what its named so I can utilize that driver instead of the built-in one?

Thanks for taking the time to read/answer my thread, its much appreciated!!

Bulkley

Re: Network-Manager "device not ready" rtl8821ae

#2 Post by Bulkley »

I recently got a new WiFi PCI-E card
Why? Was there a pre-existing problem?

Did you load the appropriate non-free software for your RTL8821AE?

Network Manager is a beautiful tool when it works properly and a huge pain in the neck when it doesn't. Wicd is easier to use but some people seem to have trouble with it. I no longer use either of them. On my desktop I just use a script in /etc/network/interfaces. On my laptop I use wpagui (wpa_gui) for roaming. It is simple but I have never had any problems with it. Take a look here.

kenny_w

#3 Post by kenny_w »

I got a new PCI-E WiFi card because the one I originally had was old & didn't have built-in Bluetooth, the old one topped out at 54MBPS, the new one is supposed to go up to 433MBPS.
I'll check out wpa_gui, I've never heard of that one. I think the problem only really occurs when I try to use a static IP, I'm gonna run some tests on it to see what's causing this issue.. I've never had any problems with network-manager on any of my computers before.

When I hit disconnect or try to connect to a different network than the one I'm connected to on boot, it goes "device not ready" & I have to do sudo service network-manager restart to make it start working again.

Edit: Ok, so I've changed the settings to disable static (assigned) IP & rebooted but its still doing this.. I don't get it, why is this happening?

kenny_w

#4 Post by kenny_w »

I followed the instructions on that weblink but I still don't see any WPA_GUI thing anywhere... -.-
and my wifi is hard+soft blocked every time I boot up for some odd reason, how can I fix this??? I've hit the hardware switch but every time I boot up its this same way...

kenny_w

#5 Post by kenny_w »

Bump... is there anybody out there that can help me solve this issue? :/ Debian derivatives seem to work OK for network-manager, why does it only not work for pure Debian 9 Stretch???

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by 4D696B65 »

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#7 Post by cds60601 »

I'm running 9.3 and with my USB nic, I am using rt2870 - the thing that I found is that for some reason, the name of he device is very long and for me, that prevented my nic to become active. What would happen: it sees the network but fails to auth (or time-out).

What I have done was this:

ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/network/default.link

Removed the USB nic then plugged it back in. Set the network I wanted to join and bingo. Flawless after that. I don't know if this works for you or even if it was the same issue as mine. I saw this in a dev/bug report and has worked for me - YMMV.

UPDATE: I wanted to present the actual thread I used as a reference. See below.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 01045.html
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious