Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

pool segfault preventing login

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
michapma

pool segfault preventing login

#1 Post by michapma »

I recently did apt-get dist-upgrade on an amd64 unstable installation, after many months of disuse. It seemed to upgrade every package, so I expected some issue could crop up. Indeed, after rebooting, attempting to log in to Gnome or Cinnamon graphically using gdm3 (as before) dumps the session, returning to the gdm3 screen. I'm able to log into Gnome Classic, and programs load normally, but the network does not resolve the ethernet connection. (Probably a separate issue.) None of these problems exist on the stable (Stretch) installation. It's worth noting that this particular machine is about 10.5 years old, and some components may be experiencing failure. For instance, I have been getting

Code: Select all

usb 2-3: device descriptor read/64, error -62
for some time now.

When I look at the tail of dmesg, I get a line like the following:

Code: Select all

[  946.853205] pool[1275]: segfault at 8 ip 00007f8008f96676 sp 00007f7fef7fd978 error 4 in libc-2.24.so[7f8008f16000+193000]
One such line appears for every attempt to log in, and nothing else. After googling, I am still at a loss what pool is; I used locate, it apparently is not a binary, but some thread. Perhaps I need to reconfigure a package, any hint on how to debug this issue?

Thanks

bw123

Re: pool segfault preventing login

#2 Post by bw123 »

I don't use testing, but I usually start to solve an issue like that by making sure apt is in a good state, no half-configured or anything. Then I'd track down the error msg about libc-2.24.so that's probably in libc6 so yeah... you should check bug reports, etc... it's sid, so test it and have fun.
usb 2-3: device descriptor read/64, error -62
ou know, have older hardware too and I think I've seen that a time or two lately on stretch. I usually unplug the device and try again and it works fine. I hope that's not a bad sign, I like to keep the antiques in good shape.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

michapma

#3 Post by michapma »

I have made many searches and read many bug reports. All I can find are other segfault reports, but nothing about segfaults related to pool. It would help if I can figure out what pool is... according to top (looking by name and pid) it isn't running while the gdm3 screen shows. That goes well with the description here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/289 ... ool-thread
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_pool

I'm willing to do some work, any hints how I could diagnose?

I am not too concerned about the usb error. I have three USB devices plugged in: wireless keyboard/mouse controller, monitor, and (via monitor) the mouse I actually use. This is my main desktop and it suffers stutters and generally doesn't respond quickly; worse, failure seems likely soon. I plan to finally buy a replacement soon, but I will likely not retire this one just yet unless it breaks down. The main problem with keeping it running is physical space...

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

search for pool+segfault+libc and scrape for the word pool. you need a good search tool, or else dig real deep with the normal searchengines, they want to sell you a swimming pool.
resigned by AI ChatGPT