Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Right way to install sid?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Right way to install sid?

#16 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

wizard10000 wrote:Last, *do not* use apt's dist-upgrade or full-upgrade with Testing or Sid unless you know exactly what you're doing. Plain old apt upgrade will hold back packages that aren't ready for release.
I disagree with this.

"full-upgrade" is *required* with testing/sid as it will remove packages when necessary to upgrade/install new versions with different depends/package names, which happens a lot.

If you just run standard upgrades, your system will get out of sync with "current" and there will be a growing list of "held back" packages, eventually creating an "impossible" situation.

Both methods call the apt-listbugs hooks, when installed, to warn of packages with open bugs.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

wizard10000 wrote:That's why I said "unless you know exactly what you're doing". :mrgreen:
Which you should if running testing / sid.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

GarryRicketson

#19 Post by GarryRicketson »

It is funny though, how sometimes what starts out as a experiment, and even using a VM, after awhile the experiment is really working good, and one has
a lot of work into it,... one mistake and all that work lost. I make a copy/snapshot of the VM before doing anything that might change that.
Same if it is real hardware,.. and that applies to even if it is a "stable" version.
good habit to get into.

michapma

#20 Post by michapma »

wizard10000 wrote:
arochester wrote:I like this. Careful. Belt and braces: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... bl#p633248
I like it too. Best readme I've seen on the subject.
Thanks for posting that, arochester. Gave me some new ideas for good practice. I've only been using a reduced version by carefully observing packages to be removed and reading the output of apt-listbugs. Pretty sure I won't drop down to the terminal for every dist-upgrade, though.