Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch stopped suspending on laptop lid

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
GarryRicketson

Re: Stretch stopped suspending on laptop lid

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

by shakman »2) Posting in a forum is what most people do first (after searching) to determine if the problem has been previously encountered/addressed to get help and direction, not nasty replies.
Yes, indeed, most people ask after they do some searches, But there are all ways those few, that don't even try to search.
Oddly enough, those are all ways also the ones that get nasty and start making nasty replies, when it is suggested that they do a search.
by shakman »Perhaps a nice suggestion instead of an "eliteist", un-welcoming smart ass remark is more appropriate for civilized discourse.

How to submit a bug report on Debian 9
1st hit: https://www.debian.org/Bugs/
==============================
2nd hit:https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
And there is more, all relevant,
by shakman »Perhaps a nice suggestion instead ----snip-----
Ok, well here is a nice suggestion:
Edit your post and remove the nasty remarks, replace them with something polite , like (example):

Code: Select all

Wow.
 Thank you for the reply, but , 
1) I am not familiar with the bug submission process (read: me). I didn't even know it exists 
2) I asked here, because I am unable to do any searches, and don't know how to determine if the problem has been previously encountered/addressed to get help and direction. 
 Can you please either explain more on submitting a bug report, or give me 
some links with that information ? 
 Also, on how to see if this problem has been submitted all ready.
 Thank you 

Also a apology would be nice, apologies go a long ways.

If you browse or search the forum, you will see this problem has been discussed before.
And yes there have been bug reports filed , related to this.
: Debian bug reports, Suspend on laptop close lid just stops working
1 of many (1st hit): https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=730609
There are many, it is up to you now to do your part, I am not going to read them all for you and try to figure out which ones apply to your situation.

Thank you, and I apologize in advance, if you think I am not being nice, or if I offend you in any way, it is not my intention.
No need to post a nasty reply like the other one,...
----snip---instead of an "eliteist", un-welcoming smart ass remark is more appropriate for civilized discourse.
No body else made any remark quite as rude as yours, but that is ok, I understand, sometimes we all have bad days, and say thing we regret later.
Again, I am sorry if you don't like my reply either, I am trying to be civilized,
and polite.

debiman

#17 Post by debiman »

GarryRicketson wrote: Also a apology would be nice, apologies go a long ways.
not to me! I was being a smart-ass.

nevertheless i think i'm right:
  • op dismissed the bug submission process AFTER we discussed it and made clear what it's all about, so their own argument "Posting in a forum is what most people do first (after searching) to determine if the problem has been previously encountered/addressed to get help and direction, not nasty replies" is invalid.
  • i maintain that submitting a full & correct bug report is a tedious and painful process, but not one that requires particular skill beyond using the terminal, therefore dismissing it in the way op did is laziness.
  • op hasn't been particular friendly or humble themselves in this thread.
Last edited by debiman on 2017-12-31 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

shakman

#18 Post by shakman »

GarryRicketson wrote:
by shakman »2) Posting in a forum is what most people do first (after searching) to determine if the problem has been previously encountered/addressed to get help and direction, not nasty replies.
Yes, indeed, most people ask after they do some searches, ..
Gerry, I said I searched, you quoted it. It's my process. If you re-read the thread you can see everything was cordial up until debiman posted this unwarranted nasty reply:
read:
i was hoping i could dump the tedious process of submitting a bug onto somebody else.
Instead of simply suggesting that perhaps the only recourse *is* to submit a bug report, which as I said many don't know how to do, debiman decided a thinly veiled insult was more apropos.

THAT flippant tone was entirely uncalled for in the discourse and demanded a defense.

In my search of both this forum, and the net in general, I have NOT found a solution to the issue, NOR what the issue actually is, as it is still unknown to a great extent, with few people having fixed their issue, and many NOT.

THAT is why I posted here
by shakman »Perhaps a nice suggestion instead of an "eliteist", un-welcoming smart ass remark is more appropriate for civilized discourse.
A perfectly understandable reply to an unwarranted attack.
Ok, well here is a nice suggestion:
Edit your post and remove the nasty remarks, replace them with something polite , like (example):
You need to address debiman who initiated the attack.

Responses like debiman's are a sure way to make this an unwelcoming environment for those seeking help.

Code: Select all

Wow.
 Thank you for the reply, but , 
1) I am not familiar with the bug submission process (read: me). I didn't even know it exists 
2) I asked here, because I am unable to do any searches, and don't know how to determine if the problem has been previously encountered/addressed to get help and direction. 

Again, searching this forum was the *first* thing I did, to no avail/solution and I know the bug submission ps exists. Those things in your "edit" above are NOT what I said.
No body else made any remark quite as rude as yours, ...
Not true. Go re-read the sequence of posts. I was clearly and needlessly attacked.

And thank you for the suggestions on the bug reporting mechanism.

@debiman

I clearly said I am not versed enough to handle the issue. LAZINESS is not the issue, that is just another ad hominem attack on your part.

I made it perfectly clear that I was determining if this problem had been encountered more recently by anyone in this forum prior, and how/if they addressed it.

Your flippant attack added absolutely nothing to the conversation.

debiman

#19 Post by debiman »

shakman wrote:I clearly said I am not versed enough to handle the issue. LAZINESS is not the issue
well then i guess you already opened a new thread, asking for help with creating & filing a bug report.
sorry i haven't noticed.

shakman

#20 Post by shakman »

debiman wrote:well then i guess you already opened a new thread, asking for help with creating & filing a bug report.
sorry i haven't noticed.
Nah, you missed it. Another forum member was intelligent enough to assist with that matter right here in this very thread,

golinux

#21 Post by golinux »

May the FORK be with you!