Debian Jessie wifi 3x faster than Stretch

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: Debian Jessie wifi 3x faster than Stretch

Postby wizard10000 » 2017-12-13 19:02

kcbagr wrote:Just wanted to leave a big Thanks to everyone for your posts. Thank you so much for your efforts guys. And Wizard10000, thank you for chiming in with what resulted in a big improvement :P

You're more than welcome. If you want to tweak a little bit toggle swcrypto to 0 and test. Keep whichever setting works better and then take a look at power_save and try setting it to 1. My guess is toggling power_save will slow things back down but you may get better performance using hardware encryption instead of software encryption. Use the settings that work best for you :)

Now that the card is talking at 802.11n speeds the remaining performance gap is most likely Something Else.

Also, that led_mode thing isn't really necessary. Intel likes to blink the wireless LED on laptops and I find it irritating. Setting led_mode to 1 gives you a steady wireless light instead of a blinking one.

Good luck -

edit: Toggling bt_coex_active to 0 (default is 1) might perk things up a little, especially if you're not using bluetooth.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Postby kcbagr » 2017-12-14 12:11

Ugh. Making the same iwlwifi parameter changes that Wizard10000 posted about to Jessie brought Jessie's internet speed up to 200Mbps.

Wifi performance really took a dive in Stretch. Should a bug report be filed about this? Maybe Debian developers can do something to improve the situation for Buster's release?
kcbagr

Postby wizard10000 » 2017-12-14 14:00

kcbagr wrote:...Wifi performance really took a dive in Stretch. Should a bug report be filed about this? Maybe Debian developers can do something to improve the situation for Buster's release?

I really have no idea since I run Sid on two machines and don't run Stretch at all. I did just look at packages.debian.org - Jessie runs one version, jessie-backports and Stretch run another and stretch-backports, Buster and Sid all run current version.

I do think there's some regression there - I will say that since firmware-iwlwifi has no dependencies you might want to try archiving the current package you have so you can reinstall it and downgrade to Jessie's version. Bug report might be kinda useless when compared to a Jessie install - but if you ran Jessie's iwlwifi on Stretch just to test there may be something worth filing a bug report over.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Previous

Return to General Questions