Recording Skype/Facebook voice conversations [solved]

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Recording Skype/Facebook voice conversations [solved]

Postby Lysander » 2017-12-12 12:10

I've been looking for a way of doing this and can't find anything. There used to be a utility called Skype Call Recorder, but since Skype came out of Linux beta it no longer works [that means all those articles telling you to use it up until mid 2017 can be ignored].

I'm posting this on the offchance that someone knows something about how to do this - to record voice calls in Skype of Facebook - but apparently it can't be done in Linux at all. Maybe in a VM but I don't own a copy of Windows.
Last edited by Lysander on 2017-12-13 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Lysander

Re: Recording Skype/Facebook voice conversations

Postby Ardouos » 2017-12-12 12:22

Lysander wrote:I'm posting this on the offchance that someone knows something about how to do this - to record voice calls in Skype of Facebook

I would give Open Broadcaster Software a shot.
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/obs-studio
Ardouos

Postby Lysander » 2017-12-12 16:16

You are a genius! I honestly didn't expect it to work but it did. As long as I set the devices properly in the audio settings then both sides of the conversation are recorded very cleanly. Thank you so much!

I should note that this worked best with Skypeweb in Chromium. In the Skype client I kept being told my audio driver was failing. That happened once or twice in Skypeweb, but successful test calls were much more consistent. That means I can probably uninstall my Skype client now.
Lysander

Postby Ardouos » 2017-12-12 16:24

Lysander wrote:You are a genius! I honestly didn't expect it to work but it did. As long as I set the devices properly in the audio settings then both sides of the conversation are recorded very cleanly. Thank you so much!
-----
That means I can probably uninstall my Skype client now.

Great! Time to celebrate with a pint. :lol:
Ardouos

Return to General Questions