Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Recording Skype/Facebook voice conversations [solved]

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Lysander

Recording Skype/Facebook voice conversations [solved]

#1 Post by Lysander »

I've been looking for a way of doing this and can't find anything. There used to be a utility called Skype Call Recorder, but since Skype came out of Linux beta it no longer works [that means all those articles telling you to use it up until mid 2017 can be ignored].

I'm posting this on the offchance that someone knows something about how to do this - to record voice calls in Skype of Facebook - but apparently it can't be done in Linux at all. Maybe in a VM but I don't own a copy of Windows.
Last edited by Lysander on 2017-12-13 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

Ardouos

Re: Recording Skype/Facebook voice conversations

#2 Post by Ardouos »

Lysander wrote:I'm posting this on the offchance that someone knows something about how to do this - to record voice calls in Skype of Facebook
I would give Open Broadcaster Software a shot.
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/obs-studio
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Lysander

#3 Post by Lysander »

You are a genius! I honestly didn't expect it to work but it did. As long as I set the devices properly in the audio settings then both sides of the conversation are recorded very cleanly. Thank you so much!

I should note that this worked best with Skypeweb in Chromium. In the Skype client I kept being told my audio driver was failing. That happened once or twice in Skypeweb, but successful test calls were much more consistent. That means I can probably uninstall my Skype client now.

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

Lysander wrote:You are a genius! I honestly didn't expect it to work but it did. As long as I set the devices properly in the audio settings then both sides of the conversation are recorded very cleanly. Thank you so much!
-----
That means I can probably uninstall my Skype client now.
Great! Time to celebrate with a pint. :lol:
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀