Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian VM with Parallels space zero

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Chaklader

Debian VM with Parallels space zero

#1 Post by Chaklader »

I'm a new user of Linux and installed a Debian 8 VM with Parallels in a MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro has 256 GB space and I have given the Debian 128 GB space (half). I installed only a few apps which should not take a lot of space. I started to get the message that the desk space is very little and needs to delete some apps soon.

I deleted few apps (e.g Skype) but I don't have much there except IntelliJ and Slack. At this point, it encountered a login loop of the machine where I put the correct password and it loops me back on the same screen. I speculated this due to the space reason. I entered in the shell (CNTR+ALT+FN+F3) and I can get the visual mode with startx both as user and the root.

Now, it says the computer has only 0 bytes disk space available. I run the command "df -h" and find a FileSystem namely "dev/sda1" is has the size of 121 GB is used 116 GB.

I read somewhere that automated processes can fill up spaces. is that correct? What can I do at this point?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Debian VM with Parallels space zero

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Use 'du' to find out where the space is used. ('man du' for usage).

Likely culprits are /var/log & /var/cache/apt/archives

I like 'ncdu' for a nice interface, but you would likely have to install it, and without space, you probably can't...
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...