Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is winehq-staging on Debian Sid?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
dragodin

Is winehq-staging on Debian Sid?

#1 Post by dragodin »

Hi everyone,
I'm a new, and happy, user of Debian Sid, I find it up to date and reasonably stable. I've been trying to install winehq-staging, though, and I couldn't. I can install winehq-devel (development version) and I guess you can install the stable but I can't install the staging version. I browsed the debian wiki and indeed there are info about wine and wine-development but there are none about wine staging

https://wiki.debian.org/Wine

The winehq wiki, though, indicates that you can install that but it's very generic about the debian version.

https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian

These are the results when I try to install it:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt install winehq-staging
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 winehq-staging : Depends: wine-staging (= 2.21.0~sid)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I checked and there are no held packages. These command gave no results:

draco@draco-home:~$ apt-mark showhold
draco@draco-home:~$ sudo apt-mark showhold
draco@draco-home:~$ dpkg -l | grep "^hi"
draco@draco-home:~$ sudo dpkg -l | grep "^hi"
I've also tried synaptics and there are no broken packages, and aptitude is of no help either.

I tried to dig in the dependencies and after many iteration of "dependencies not installed" I arrived to this, jre problem?

draco@draco-home:~$ sudo apt-get install librsvg2-2:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libgtk2.0-0 : Depends: gnome-icon-theme but it is not going to be installed or
                        adwaita-icon-theme but it is not going to be installed
 libreoffice-script-provider-js : Depends: default-jre but it is not going to be installed or
                                           sun-java6-jre but it is not installable or
                                           java6-runtime or
                                           jre but it is not installable
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
My final question is: is winehq-staging even available on Debian Sid? I also tried to ask the same question on many subreddits but with no luck.
I tried the package search and there is none:

https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all

Thanks in advance

kedaha

Re: Is winehq-staging on Debian Sid?

#2 Post by kedaha »

dragodin wrote:Hi everyone,
Hi!
dragodin wrote:I'm a new, and happy, user of Debian Sid, I find it up to date and reasonably stable.
That's right; as the author of the Debian Reference, Osamu Aoki, writes in the section about life_with_eternal_upgrades "the unstable suite of the Debian system looks very stable for most of the times" :wink:
dragodin wrote: My final question is: is winehq-staging even available on Debian Sid? I also tried to ask the same question on many subreddits but with no luck.
Of course isn't available from Debian sid. Why not? Following an experimental phase, packages enter unstable, "sid" and then pass to testing following the developmental cycle as part of the process leading to the next stable distribution so there would be no absolutely no purpose in packaging it, except maybe as a dummy package; as explained here:
Wine Staging is the testing area of winehq.org. It contains bug fixes and features, which have not been integrated into the development branch yet. The idea of Wine Staging is to provide experimental features faster to end users and to give developers the possibility to discuss and improve their patches before they are integrated into the main branch.
The purpose of the developmental branches of is to produce Debian's core distribution, stable, not to provide a cure for Shiny_New_Stuff_Syndrome. :wink:
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

dragodin

#3 Post by dragodin »

Thanks kedaha for your reply. I'll see if I can compile it, some of the programs I use only works in staging, unfortunately.
I hope one day you will reconsider to include wine-staging, because it's true that it's a "testing" branch, but it's de-facto what is used by everyone to run applications.

Thanks again!

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

You'll find a package for sid here:
wine-staging.com/installation.html#distro_debian
DebianStable

$ vrms

dragodin

#5 Post by dragodin »

it doesn't work because of dependencies "held of broken packages" that I can't track. The details are in the OP, I followed exactly that guide.

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

I guess you'll just have to try and build it yourself then.
DebianStable

$ vrms

kedaha

#7 Post by kedaha »

I'm curious so l'll have a go and try and get it to work it myself in sid and see if I have any luck.
DebianStable

$ vrms

dragodin

#8 Post by dragodin »

kedaha wrote:I'm curious so l'll have a go and try and get it to work it myself in sid and see if I have any luck.
let me know! :)

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#9 Post by steve_v »

I find all my wine requirements are handled rather well by playonlinux, it has a built in downloader (including -staging builds) as well as per-application wine versions and settings.
It's aimed at games, obviously, but works fine for other applications.
Best of all, no sid, no third-party repos, and no compiling wine.

Wine is one of those packages that changes too rapidly (and has too many regressions) to stick with a single system-wide install, IMO.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

dragodin

#10 Post by dragodin »

what I need doesn't work on playonlinux

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#11 Post by steve_v »

dragodin wrote:what I need doesn't work on playonlinux
How so? It's just a frontend to wine, so if your app works in wine...
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

dragodin

#12 Post by dragodin »

because it doesn't just work, there are many customization you have to embed in a Playlinux install to make something work, if the Playlinux developers don't bother working on what I need there is nothing I can do. Look at "Heroes of the Storm" game, it works fine on wine-staging and doens't work at all on Playonlinux.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#13 Post by steve_v »

dragodin wrote:because it doesn't just work
Suit yourself, but like I said playonlinux is just a wine frontend. Since they don't modify the wine build in any way, the only reason something wouldn't run is a) default options or b) a bung installer script. Sorting those out is a lot less hassle than compiling upstream wine.
I haven't found anything that runs in repo-installed wine but not in a playonlinux-installed wine, in fact quite the opposite. I'm not going to go pirate that game just to prove a point though.

Ed. A quick look and it appears this game does indeed run with playonlinux, using wine 2.13-staging.

dragodin

#14 Post by dragodin »

"Heroes of the Storm" is free to play....
Ed. A quick look and it appears this game does indeed run with playonlinux, using wine 2.13-staging.
Where did you read that? On their official page there are nothing but complains

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-2627 ... Storm.html

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#15 Post by steve_v »

dragodin wrote:Where did you read that? On their official page there are nothing but complains
On that very page, if one reads carefully.
And all those "complains" are related to the installer script, and wine in general, not playonlinux per se. One should not be permitted to complain anyway, it's all free stuff. :P
Most of this is simply the same old whack-a-mole one always plays with wine and app updates, you'll get that with or without a frontend.

There's the same kind of "works with this version, but not that, if you hold your tongue to the left and install "acme.dll" with winetricks twice while sacrificing a rabbit" bollocks over on winehq.
Games are buggy, wine is buggy, playonlinux install scripts are buggy, the windoze APIs are inscrutable and poorly documented, and everything is a moving target. It's just the nature of the thing.

The only time you really need to compile wine yourself is when you want some obscure patch that's not in the available binaries, but if you think you can build it better than the ready-to-go packages playonlinux provides, go ahead.

I only suggested playonlinux because it has the wine version you wanted all ready to go. You could even just unpack their binaries somewhere and forgo playonlinux itself, if that floats your boat.

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

So, why can't you install default-jre or gnome-icon-theme on Sid? Those are metapackages, so you'll have to dig even deeper. If it's not PEBKAC, then it's just normal churn in Sid, something that should come as no surprise.
MX Linux packager and developer

kedaha

#17 Post by kedaha »

Wine enables one to use certain—unless there are exceptions where the source code is available—binary-only Windows programs (with the security issues that these entail) so why not just use dual boot Windows for Microsoft-style fun and games?
DebianStable

$ vrms