Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Video lagging

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
pawRoot

Video lagging

#1 Post by pawRoot »

Hi

I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 on family member PC (it was the only choice, Ubuntu and Win10), but i hope someone give me some tip how i can fix this since its similiar to Debian.
Basically this PC came with Window 10 preinstalled, i tested it and 4k video on Youtube was working great, but on Ubuntu 16.04 and 17.10, the video is lagging like hell.
IF i play 4k video in VLC, it basically freezes at one frame and only plays sound.
I tested it on Gnome 3.26 , Unity and Openbox.
Intel Apollo Lake N3450
Intel HD Graphics 500
Any idea what i could try?

stevepusser

Re: Video lagging

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Obviously, you're not getting the video hardware decoding in Ubuntu 16.04 for the HTML5 video that Windows is providing you. Intel GPUs usually use va-api to access that in Linux, but I don't know how to turn that on in Ubuntu, or if it works for web streaming. I have got it to work in some applications on a Debian derivative for my Skylake GPU, notably QMPlay2 and mpv, but you might have older versions of those on 16.04. You can also stream Youtube in QMPlay2 and mpv in order to take advantage of the hardware acceleration there if it does not work in the browser.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Have you tried using FlashPlayer instead of HTML5?

That used to be the only way to get hardware acceleration in FF under GNU/Linux but I don't know if things have changed.
deadbang

dotlj

#4 Post by dotlj »

I have a two year old computer with Intel video and Nvidia GTX 950M cards. I record 4k video on a VR and play on my computer (Debian Stretch) with no lag. On older computers that can play HD, for example my wife's Macbook, there is terrible lag and distorted audio - simply because the CPU and GPU and memory were made for HD. If your computer is older, you may be able to upgrade or you might just have to upgrade to better hardware.
Look for example at how much CPU is being used, run top or use gkrellm to show what's happneing, that should give an idea if the computer is coping or the problem may be somewhere else.

You could upgrade to 17.10 - I did actually look at the 18.04 alpha last week and found that it worked with no problems at all on an old disk. :o
You could replace 16.04 with Debian 9, that's another option.

pawRoot

#5 Post by pawRoot »

Ok thanks for info, i thought it's gonna work normally like on Windows, since I'm on Intel aswell and get same performance as on Win10.

Wheelerof4te

#6 Post by Wheelerof4te »

pawRoot wrote:i tested it and 4k video on Youtube was working great
There is no reliable hardware acceleration for Youtube videos on Linux. That's also the reason why playing Youtube drains the battery on Linux very fast; CPU gets over-used for decoding.
Check if you have all needed gstreamer plugins as well.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

I'm also curious why Ubuntu 16.04 is the only choice.
MX Linux packager and developer

pawRoot

#8 Post by pawRoot »

stevepusser wrote:I'm also curious why Ubuntu 16.04 is the only choice.
On his PC you can't just insert USB with Debian, you can either install Windows 10 or their modified version of Ubuntu. :roll:

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

pawRoot wrote:On his PC you can't just insert USB with Debian, you can either install Windows 10 or their modified version of Ubuntu.
you say that like it's an absolute fact.
frankly, i don't buy it.

maybe just tell us exactly what sort of computer this is, for starters?

whether it's ubuntu or debian, video playback should be possible on a win10 machine.

pawRoot

#10 Post by pawRoot »

You need to use refind and other crap to be able to boot Linux on his PC.
As i said you can't just insert USB with Debian and boot it.

More info about his PC i posted here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136101

dotlj

#11 Post by dotlj »

From the original post, it looks like you have a Windows computer and have also installed Ubuntu 16.04 on the same computer. Is this a dual boot?
For problems with Ubuntu 16.04 you should try the Ubuntu forums.
Have you installed both Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 17.10 or did you try the 4k video from Ubuntu on an optical disk or USB device?
IF i play 4k video in VLC, it basically freezes at one frame and only plays sound.
I tested it on Gnome 3.26 , Unity and Openbox.
How did you test it?
You need to use refind and other crap to be able to boot Linux on his PC.
As i said you can't just insert USB with Debian and boot it.
You can if you turn off Fastboot first in BIOS. Please give some details about the computer such as brand and model number.