Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Moving to Debian - questions

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
liamodo921

Moving to Debian - questions

#1 Post by liamodo921 »

Hello Everyone

So this weekend I am looking at moving my main laptop (Thinkpad X250) to Debian but I have some questions before I begin the transition.

Firstly I have used Linux on and off now for a couple of years and after mostly distro hopping for that entire time I think Debian is where I would essentially like to make my Linux home, and while I know my way around Linux I would still consider my self a noob with Linux, although I can google issues and usually fix them given a little bit of time.
So following on from that is my first question, what Debian should I use as my base, I am looking for stability but I ideally dont want to run on super out-dated pacakges, I was thinking of either using Testing or Stable + backports, which would you suggest?

Secondly I am looking for a desktop environment to link with i3, I have become fond of its keybindings and to be honest my workflow changed rapidly for the better when using it to the point that when I am on other machines I try to use i3 keybindings to move around,
Now I know this enters the opinionated area but I am looking to use a panel from another desktop with I3 to have the best of both works and was wondering at all if there is a desktop environment more stable than the others.

And finally is there any tweaks to do that wont affect stability but do improve Debian? more of a personal experience question to be honest.

Many Thanks

pawRoot

Re: Moving to Debian - questions

#2 Post by pawRoot »

Well the question is do you need every software to be in newest version available, which might cost you stability.
Software in stable isn't imo super outdated, but i guess it also depends on what kind of software do you need.
I am using i3 on stable myself and have 0 problems (except some bug with Firefox).

I would recommend doing clean minimal install of Debian Stretch without any DE selected, and then just install things like Xorg and i3.

I even made a script myself which transforms clean install of Debian into fully configured i3 (except networking).
https://github.com/DebianFanboy/debian-i3

Also check this out: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

stable + backports.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

And finally is there any tweaks to do that wont affect stability but do improve Debian? more of a personal experience question to be honest.
I think using one DE is best for stability, and it makes things easier to maintain. The idea of mixing two or more of the large desktop environments makes me cringe. I know people do it, and that's fine. I just wouldn;t want to deal with it myself. I think each has it's own problems/issues if you want to replace it's window manager with something else.

Using several window managers though shouldn't be a problem, but I haven;t used I3 specifically. Some of the older wm people on here often recommended tint2 as a panel replacement for just about any wm.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by None1975 »

liamodo921 wrote:more of a personal experience question to be honest.Many Thanks
Personally, i use only one wm-Openbox. On another machine i use Herbstluftwm, on a third-i3.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github