Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How does apt-get check for new package versions?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
nemle2

How does apt-get check for new package versions?

#1 Post by nemle2 »

Hi there,

how does apt-get upgrade know when a new version of a package should be installed? I guess it somehow parses e.g. the Contents-amd64.gz but which parts of it are used to determine package X has to be upgraded? Is merely the version number used? I know the hash values are used for signature checking but are they also involved otherwise? I don't know how it is handled by Debian but afaik FreeBSD fequently recompiles packages which have the same version number in the end but different hash values and the latter ones are then used to check if a package needs to be upgraded.

stevepusser

Re: How does apt-get check for new package versions?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

nemle2 wrote:Hi there,

how does apt-get upgrade know when a new version of a package should be installed? I guess it somehow parses e.g. the Contents-amd64.gz but which parts of it are used to determine package X has to be upgraded? Is merely the version number used? I know the hash values are used for signature checking but are they also involved otherwise? I don't know how it is handled by Debian but afaik FreeBSD fequently recompiles packages which have the same version number in the end but different hash values and the latter ones are then used to check if a package needs to be upgraded.
"Apt-get update" gets a list of packages and their versions that are available from the repository. That's it, AFAIK.
MX Linux packager and developer